Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Bigmambajamba
    Insulation
    WB UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Underquilt endeavors: A learning experience.

So I wanted an underquilt. A buddy of mine purchased one recently from Arrowhead Equipment and after he let me check it out, Obviously I wanted one even more. I just couldn't talk myself into spending the money, especially after having just purchased a WBBB. So I came up with this hair brained idea that I could cut the zipper and footbox off of my Military Sleep System intermediate sleeping bag and sew some loops into it to turn it into an underquilt. That particular bag is fairly cheap and doesn't pack down super small, but it's feasible for me.

This is the result
    imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

I got it to hang fairly well underneath and it covers me from my shoulders down to the footbox fairly well. But It still sags a bit low, and i'm still getting some gap between the bag and the hammock and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I put loops and shock cord in the end to tighten it, and the other end (head end) has the original cord sewn in from when it was made which works the same way.

Should I use something different than shock cord to hang it? Is there something I'm doing wrong without realizing it? Or did I waste my time completely and should just invest the money in a down underquilt? I must admit, Stormcrows quilts really caught my eye.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It's heavy but it can work.
    Shock cord to hang a quilt is best. It allows for movement. You can add loops midway to pull the quilt up. You'll run this midway sc over the rl. Then clip or unclip as you exit.

Cinching the ends just right takes time. Too tight or too loose will create gaps, play with the tension (works best to lay in the hammock and have a helper adjust things until it's right)
    Foot and head ends also work best with shock cord
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Get some of those paper clip clamps used for stacks. Drape the sleeping bag over the hammock ends and/or as far up the sides as necessary for a tight fit clipping the bag as you go. A rectangular sleeping bag which spreads out flat and is long enough can be tucked over and clipped to the end edges of a hammock given the boat shape of a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It's best to sew channels on all four sides and run shock cord through them.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts