Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a few noob hanger questions

I've used my HH once with less than stellar results ( way too hot in the hammock). Within 10 minutes I was roasting. I promptly ejected my sleeping bag and stripped down. Was still too hot and ended getting out staying up til about 3am than falling asleep for a hour ( sweating the entire time)

Anyone else suffer from heat stroke in one of these?

I usually camp with ground dwellers and the sites they pick are usually pretty far away from trees that have enough girth. At best I end up on the outskirts. I was thinking the next time out using extra line to suspend the hammock between trees. This can get me closer to base camp by using the few large trees that are in the area Any problems if I do?

I do like my hammock, but I HATE being too hot.

PS:Also maybe it's my paranoid state but I felt like I was so exposed when just hanging there not being able to see out with my butt in the wind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum TYWRAP.

I think we've all had those hot nights. Do you think you would have been cooler in a tent? That's one of the things that I really fell in love with about hammocks; much cooler than a tent in the heat. I started my hanging addiction while living in Florida, so it was a very nice thing to be a couple of degrees cooler. Or, maybe your bag was just too much bag for the temp. Don't know, but a hammock is almost always going to be a cooler (both definitions of the word) way to sleep than a tent.

You don't want your lines too long or the hammock will drop like crazy when you get in it. I have 11' to 12' of webbing on each end of my hammocks and the few times that I've needed that much, I've had to tie off to the trees at some pretty extreme heights. It makes set-up much more difficult. You might be surprised at how small of a diameter tree you can use. Windy nights become more difficult because small diameter trees sway much more in the wind, which gives you quite a ride in the hammock. However, it doesn't take a massive tree to hang from. I've hung from plenty of trees that were smaller in diameter than a wooden fence post.

Yes it's paranoia. Good news is that it will pass.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Get the zipper mod so you can get tie off the bug net. Maybe that will help you with a little more air circulation -- of course if the campsite isn't buggy.

TYWRAP, you're close. Are you gonna make it to the Nov. MAHHA hang? I'm in charge of attendance (not really) consider yourself invited.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    TYWRAP, Welcome to the forum. I'm curious what the temps and humidity were on the night in question? Was your tarp to close to the hammock? not allowing enough air flow. I've had a few hot summer nights where anything would be uncomfortable to sleep in, except air conditioning. Normally for me tho, the hammock is alot cooler (both figuratively and literally) to sleep in.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Stock
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle/Strap
    I have to second gargoyle's thoughts on the tarp. I will often leave mine off or at least suspend it much higher than normal on those hot nights to let the air flow around me better. I am in the other Virginia and the summer nights can definately get good and humid but I have found that once I get in and situated (quit making body heat) I cool down to a nice temp and sleep just fine.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO you are less "exposed" in a hammock (any hammock) than you are in a tent set for maximum ventilation. It's precious hard to see through the HH bugnet from the outside. Pitch the tarp hig and wide and that will help lot.

Moving your ssite selection is a bit trickier. Remember the farther apart the trees are the higher you need to attach the suspension huggers. anythig longer than 16' usually means you are going to need to boost the straps up the tree with an arm extension of some sort. To do that with any rebularity you are going to want to change out the suspensions. Personally I rather like having some space between me and the person next to me. So being on the "outskirts" is not a problem for me.

In all honesty I have always been cooler in my hammock than in a tent on a comparable night. Even wit the bug net I find the ventilation better in a hammock. Some folks have acquired fans they use in the hot waether.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've got a Clark Tropical, my friend has a Clark NA. I was really amazed at how roasting hot that NA was compaired to my Tropical. I tried her's out during the summer and was surprised at the difference!! Now come fall and winter, I have to use way more under insulation than she does, but that's the trade offs.
    The other thing you said was that you'd used your hammock "once". Something that I've found that works really well.... is to practice in the back yard (or near-by park) hanging and testing out your sleep system. You'll start finding out what works for you and what doesn't.
    TinaLouise

Thank you everyone for the responses.

The night in question was about 83 degrees until about midnight with high humidity. No breeze what so ever. I do think that the sleeping bag, even though it was a cheapy, was enough to really hold in the heat I was generating. I'm sure me tossing and turning didn't help either.

Last night I setup the hammock in the basement and threw in a regular blanket, than switched it for the sleeping bag. WOW what a difference. Also with no breeze in my basement I tried adjusting the rain fly and must say with it high and wide it did make a difference vs the rain fly clamped down.

I see what you mean about increasing the length of rope and than having to raise the height. I guess I'll just have to get creative to move closer to the group.

Think I'm going to try to make the Nov. MAHHA hang. It sounds like alot of fun.

Cannibal,TinaLouise,Ramblinrev,Bunn,gargoyle,Happy Camper. Thank you again for the info

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You are welcome, 83 and muggy eh, that would be a warm one. Good luckin your hammock journey. If its that warm again, I would not even bother with the tarp, leave it off, if your not expecting rain. Or set it up high, as mentioned.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    On the inverse.. what's the coolest that you can comfortably hang without having things like underquilts and the like?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast