Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I made a single layer hammock body out of unknown weight fabric. It was a lovely synth de chein. Well, turns out I sat the bottom out of it. But the fabric itself split salvage to salvage in direction. I had sewn edge pieces on like you suggest above. I used a flat felled seam. The seams held totally. I would say there should beno problem with that idea. the ATHH sews on edge peices and it looks like the ENO hammocks do as well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I would say there should beno problem with that idea. the ATHH sews on edge peices and it looks like the ENO hammocks do as well.
    That is what I was thinking. Also, if you only had to sew the bottom fabric that way, you still have the top 108" peice supporting 1/2 the load. So, surely the load on the seams would be even less than if you made a single layer using that technique.

Calculating infinity, maybe you should consider looking in the dollar bin at wally world to get your bottom fabric. You should be able to spend less on that whole purchase than for one yard of the silk!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Promised pics - don't be jealous, NCPatrick. I know you like these crazy patterns for your girls. I might try dyeing a small piece of each, to see what comes out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Promised pics - don't be jealous, NCPatrick. I know you like these crazy patterns for your girls. I might try dyeing a small piece of each, to see what comes out.

Are you sure this is silk, and not what they call "silky prints?" If it is silky prints, it is likely polyester. Although, at that price (originally), it very well may be silk!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Are you sure this is silk, and not what they call "silky prints?" If it is silky prints, it is likely polyester. Although, at that price (originally), it very well may be silk!
    100% silk, according to the tags on the original rolls. I checked, double checked and triple checked. I was going to go back to JoAnn's and take a pic of the tag from the fabric roll, as they wouldn't let me take it unless I took the whole roll. I couldn't afford another 10 yards of each color.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    100% silk, according to the tags on the original rolls. I checked, double checked and triple checked. I was going to go back to JoAnn's and take a pic of the tag from the fabric roll, as they wouldn't let me take it unless I took the whole roll. I couldn't afford another 10 yards of each color.
    Sweet! Congrats on the awesome find!

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! Some questions come to mind...

Is there a particular benefit to dying the silk in a washing machine, as opposed to a bathtub or rubber tote?

What would be the ideal storage environment for silk to prolong usable life?

Will permethian kill moths?
    Yes permethrin will kill moths. More important, it kills the larvae (caterpillars)
    which may eat the silk.

I dye silk in a bucket, it does not come out even (not the way I do it)
    but the tie-dye effect looks good to me. Camel brown tie-dye is surprisingly
    stealthy in the woods.

I use 8mm and 10mm silk, on all my silk hammocks. I you weighed my carcass and the junk I sleep with, I probably have 180lb in the hammock.
    I do pad the ends where the hanging lines attach, to reduce the stress on the silk in those areas. I had a failure there when I switched to thin spectra
    lines.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor
    [QUOTE=Narwhalin;66961]Welcome to the forum!

The guy that used the 10mm fabric is around 180 lbs. The link on the first page goes to his site about silk hammocks. ( http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/ )

According to Wikipedia, silk loses up to 20% of its strength when wet. I'd want to factor that in and also start to flash on some worst-case scenarios like windy, rainy nights with the rain coming in sideways, or a jungle environment with the air so humid you can drink it with a straw.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234