Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Hammock Pillow

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ht_pillow.html

I've tried using this pillow for my head and it works o.k
    You barely have to put any air in it or otherwise it will feel way bulky.
    I now use a piece of silk and put 2 trash compactor bags inside and tie a knot.
    Feels much better. Also muti-use.
    The air pillow does work really well under your knee in the hammock. It is not only wider than the standard stuff sack, but you can obviously adjust the height.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I made a flat sil stuff sack with fleece sewn into one side. I reverse it (fleece on the inside) and use it to store spare clothes in my pack. I made it long enough to fit a water bladder inside; I can put water in there to keep it warm during a winter night, or to keep me cool in the summer. The bladder can be used with just air in it too, of course. The fleece side is nice and comfy all year round; cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

go buy some water wings at the Dollar Store. Cut them in half and you have 2 pillows for less than a dollar. Easy to blow up and easy to let the air out

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    On the ground & in a bed I need(ed) a rather large pillow. In bed, I like 2 about 4" thick (fluffed) pillows, on ground I carried a large sweater vest mostly to use as a pillow. In the hammock: I have a 4" x 8" fleece "envelope" that I stuff with my over quilt & under quilt stuff sacks. It rarely goes under my head, usually residing under my neck. This supports my neck & I have yet to feel the need for a conventional type pillow under my head while on my back. While on my side, the envelope works well as a conventional type pillow.
    Should I ever need to have a thicker pillow, for use in a shelter or wherever, my 1 Ltr. Platypus canteen fits inside the envelope, and is easily adjusted to apropriate size by adding or removing air.

As a bonus, my fleece envelope fits perfectly* over my zip lock cooking cozy, adding insulation for colder weather cooking.

* It was purposly sewn to fit.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    On the ground & in a bed I need(ed) a rather large pillow. In bed, I like 2 about 4" thick (fluffed) pillows, on ground I carried a large sweater vest mostly to use as a pillow. In the hammock: I have a 4" x 8" fleece "envelope" that I stuff with my over quilt & under quilt stuff sacks. It rarely goes under my head, usually residing under my neck. This supports my neck & I have yet to feel the need for a conventional type pillow under my head while on my back. While on my side, the envelope works well as a conventional type pillow.
    Should I ever need to have a thicker pillow, for use in a shelter or wherever, my 1 Ltr. Platypus canteen fits inside the envelope, and is easily adjusted to apropriate size by adding or removing air.

As a bonus, my fleece envelope fits perfectly* over my zip lock cooking cozy, adding insulation for colder weather cooking.

* It was purposly sewn to fit.
    Doctari,

If you ever get any food stuff on that baggie cozy you should store it with the food bag each nite.... Some bear may not be too gentle ripping it out from under your head....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have some of those BPL pillows. The material is to "crinkly" especially when your head is lying right on top of it. Like BB I used a silnylon sack lined with fleece usually stuffed with clothing. Work great and dual purpose.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Doctari,

If you ever get any food stuff on that baggie cozy you should store it with the food bag each nite.... Some bear may not be too gentle ripping it out from under your head....

Pan
    Ah, I don't figure they will take it out from under my head, I'm guessing they will take my head off & eat that So, by that reasoning, my pillow case will be safe

Thanks for the warning! I knew this, just never gave it any thought. Stoopid me.

Ah well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Images
    I use something similar to BB. Here are pics of what I use. It weighs in at about 1.5oz.

Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    My Samsonite inflatable travel pillow (think a U-shaped airplane pillow) is very light (haven't weighed it) and packs smaller than anything else I've used.

It's supportive and can be adjusted to your comfort. Has a soft exterior, too.

I use the pump/stuff sack on my DownMat 9 and fill int with extra clothing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast