GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Thanks for answering. How is it compared to the RR, comfortwise ?

Any thoughts on the insulation ?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    My wife and I are only about 5'4" and <=150lbs. We both have various physical ailments which makes short hammocks uncomfortable for us. Between us we have ankle, knee, hip, back and shoulder issues. Through specific tests we determined that 11' is our minimum comfort length for a GE.

The vertex is 102.5" (8'6" if I remember correctly). While we were ok for just a brief test ride, we did not spend a night in it. What we did do once back home was to whip our indoor GE's down to 102.5" so we could try it for a night or two. After one night we both knew that it was way too short for us. There was no way either of us would wish to do two consecutive nights in it.

The HF member who let us try out his vertex is 6'+ and said he was comfortable in it. When he got in it though we noted that he filled it out completely, there was no spare hammock length.

At best, our limited experience with it can only be considered inconclusive. If you don't have any physical problems then you may be just fine with it. In an email, a Clarke rep did mention that they have considered offering a longer length, but it would be a while. If all who might be interested contacted Clarke to let them know, maybe this could be pushed higher on the totem pole?

EDIT: Forgot to actually answer your question. Generally, I find the RR superior to GE's, perhaps mostly due to mentioned ailments. I sleep in it most every night (it's DL btw). My wife found the RR comfortable enough but says she prefers the wrap around effect of her GE, makes her feel more "safe". We were really hoping the vertex would have worked out for us for nightly indoor use as well as car camping. For the time being, we use our 11' GE's with a spreader bar for backpacking/car camping. Pretty sure I'd never backpack with the vertex. Too heavy/bulky for that.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 03-17-2017 at 09:48.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I am heading to work but will answer the main question. The vertex VX is essentially putting the same pockets from the NX270 underneath. That's the main change. As I have the NX270 (started going solo and loved the Vertex so it made sense) I like the NX's larger/flatter lay. Pairing two NX bottoms instead of their thinner one would be perfect (call it Vertex XL?). I tend to sleep with legs in various directions so the width would be welcome.
    The weathershield and net are permanently attached and roll up into the foot end. The extra cords at front/back by the poles allow you to go pole-free or back it up if a pole breaks. (in mine I have no foot pole, just the corsage).

The Z-liner completely encased the bottom and yes, it would squish the contents of the pockets. I would go without the pockets unless you are strictly in a cold climate as they would keep it too warm in the summer (NX experience). I don't think the 7 pad thing isn't going to work with this, its meant for a different hammock.

Off to work
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Oh, weight and full can be trimmed with a swap to Whoopie slings! Even stock its as light as most 2-3 person backpacking tents.
    _____

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am 6' and have only slept in the 11' WBBB XLC and the RR, so I cannot tell if I would be comfortable in a smaller hammock... I gues I would have to order it to find out.... I wonder if one could add some sort of bugnet on top of the lightweight version. Probably...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I am heading to work but will answer the main question. The vertex VX is essentially putting the same pockets from the NX270 underneath.
    So what do you do with these pockets ?? You throw your jacket and hiking pants inside ? And what happens then ?

Sadly, they are not doing your hammock color any longer, I really liked it.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-17-2017 at 11:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Housefly, Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Great review. Been considering one of these for when I camp with the missus.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    The pockets are meant as a combination storage and dead airspace. The airspace is to give the 3 season/winter ability. Its just my experience but it doesn't and even with those pockets lightly stuffed with extra clothes I was cold on a 45 night with a 20degree sleeping bag. I love them for the storage but not sure how well they will fair if they are pushing the insulation(incubator or Z-liner) away from the bottom of the hammock. In warmer but not hot weather they are much better but in hot (85+) that retained too much heat. I'd love to see an 11' Vertex with some side storage but I'm not sold on the inside pockets for those who push into shoulder season. In that way I consider mine (no pockets) to be the advantage as I have the Z-liners. Without them? Well, the pockets and some clothes were better than nothing but to really be effective I fear you have to carry a *lot* of extra clothes. Maybe I need to take my NX out again just to refresh my memory?
    _____

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Did you try the Vertex with the incubator ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Not yet. Haven't had a 242nd person since I got it but a few have. It will work, just need some mild fiddling as the center shelf can push down one side if it is loaded and you can't reach it without getting out. It works on the NX270 (again, mild fiddling around the bows) but since I've been making my own hammocks the last few weeks I've been playing with them.
    _____

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast