WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

Is my tarp big enough?

Tarp is 10x10, hammock is a WBBB XLC. The hammock is slightly off center of the tarp in these pictures, but do I have enough overlap outside each end of my hammock for weather protection? Would it help if the tarp was hung lower down closer to the hammock ridgeline? Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yes, it's too small to be hung in that config.

Yes, it would help to lower it.

Hang it asym, perhaps? Add doors?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not big enough, unless you hang it in a diamond config. The XLC is an 11 ft. hammock, and assuming that Warbonnet has the ridgeline set at around 83%, then it's around 110 inches, which is also your tarp ridgeline. You have virtually no coverage on the ends.

The disadvantage of a diamond config is that you end up with a huge tarp ridgeline of 16 ft. and that limits your tree selection. Wind also gets underneath the tarp too.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Not big enough, unless you hang it in a diamond config. The XLC is an 11 ft. hammock, and assuming that Warbonnet has the ridgeline set at around 83%, then it's around 110 inches, which is also your tarp ridgeline. You have virtually no coverage on the ends.

The disadvantage of a diamond config is that you end up with a huge tarp ridgeline of 16 ft. and that limits your tree selection. Wind also gets underneath the tarp too.
    This is what I feared. Still learning and hanging in the yard, so thanks for the explanation.

Tarps too short, try asym- at least you would have some reasonable coverage. AND the hook lag bolt needs to be removed and hole plugged- as the tree will eventually grow completely over that hook and a sawyer will cuss you in the future for ruining his chain saw chain. $($^(^$%*$(. Ask me how I know.
    It would work hung as a diamond, hung low and tight for the foul weather events and only needs two stakes. HYOH

Too short but, if you want to avoid buying a new tarp, you can limit the leakage. Cover one end properly with the tarp then take a two sided stuff sack and cover the exposed end. Cinch down the end towards the tree and leave the hammock end loose, so the water will run off. This works, sort of.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    could get away with hanging it on a diagonal, but not necessarily a diamond configuration.. move ridge line points to the next tie out between center and corner, and again on the other side to opposite corners, you should have a good ridge line length, and not be too big, this would mean an asymmetric diamond shape with asymmetric doors, sides could be staked down using the center loops, the ridge line would now measure 134.16 inches, or 11 feet 2.16 inches (essentially the hypotenuse of a 5x10 rectangle)
    With the doors made from the center tie out to the ridge line points, you would get decent coverage where you need it, and privacy where you want it. I assume that you have equal number of tie outs on all 4 sides? (center+ corners+ one in between) edit; heres grid paper sketch
    20150426_112908.jpg

EDIT: sorry for it being sideways, from my phone....

EDIT again; set it up to the point where the triangles on each side of the ridge line covers the most of your hammock lay; for example, head-R, feet L; do the set up in the sketch, if its the other way around, reverse the sketch.
    Last edited by CamoDeafie82; 04-26-2015 at 13:37.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I rehung it asym and it just doesn't look right to me. What do yall think? I don't like the ridges, I'd prefer it taught. I know diamond would be taught, but I feel like the ends would be exposed. Maybe I should just spring for a new tarp...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    I rehung it asym and it just doesn't look right to me. What do yall think? I don't like the ridges, I'd prefer it taught. I know diamond would be taught, but I feel like the ends would be exposed. Maybe I should just spring for a new tarp...
    How would the ends be exposed in a diamond config? You'd have a 16 ft. plus ridgeline - no chance of being exposed on the ends. On the other hand, the problem I had with a 10 x 10 tarp was how much wind gets underneath it. The ends of my hammock stayed dry while I caught a lot of wind-blown rain from the sides. Eventually, I tried Grizz Beaks and some pretty weird pitches that worked for me.

Then I said screw it, and got a new tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    crank the tension on the ridge line as much as you can using truckers hitches, that SHOULD get rid of the ridges...I wonder if the lines you're using are maybe too stretchy on the ridge line points? Since it's a nylon tarp, stretchiness is a thing of the nylon fabric, regardless of which way you pull it....more on the bias though, but generally if you make it as taut as humanly possible, it will be more taut than what it looks like. Could also run a ridge line underneath the tarp to keep it taut as well. I am guessing this is the Etowah/BCUSA 10x10 tarp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast