Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bugnet question

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Permethrin is not known to degrade fabric. It's a relatively stable compound.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Spiders are what I am worried about....and they DO get into the Fronkey style nets. I use the zippered format and have only gotten one or two mosquitos in with me ever. The hug is definitely one to let anything crawl in and the tube types let everything in while it is pulled up.

I guess permethrin would do the trick but you never know. Hate spiders.

Ticks too.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Permethrin is not known to degrade fabric. It's a relatively stable compound.
    Just not for cats. Just saying. .....

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Dog View Post
    Spiders are what I am worried about....and they DO get into the Fronkey style nets.
    Not with permethrin - it's a no spider zone.

I hung one night without a bugnet or tarp and there was a spider attack. I don't know if they were parachuting from the trees or climbing down the suspension. All I know is that I quickly got used to the spiders crawling all over me and went back to sleep.

On another trip, we got attacked by caterpillars, and they were definitely parachuting from the trees. They were dropping into our food, all over the tarps, and got into everything. It was the Day of One Million Caterpillars.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Not with permethrin - it's a no spider zone.

I hung one night without a bugnet or tarp and there was a spider attack. I don't know if they were parachuting from the trees or climbing down the suspension. All I know is that I quickly got used to the spiders crawling all over me and went back to sleep.

On another trip, we got attacked by caterpillars, and they were definitely parachuting from the trees. They were dropping into our food, all over the tarps, and got into everything. It was the Day of One Million Caterpillars.

Yeah.....spiders falling on me.....would pack up and leave. Anything but spiders. Had to live with scorpions in Iraq and I was on a tank. Didn't bother me as much as spiders for some reason.
    Was in White sands on a field problem and woke up to a splatting sound. Looked over the top of the turret and saw a couple crew members splatting tarantulas. No kidding. 100s of them. It was just before dawn. Freaked me out. No spiders please.

Did I say I hate spiders?????

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Dog View Post
    Yeah.....spiders falling on me.....would pack up and leave. Anything but spiders. Had to live with scorpions in Iraq and I was on a tank. Didn't bother me as much as spiders for some reason.
    Was in White sands on a field problem and woke up to a splatting sound. Looked over the top of the turret and saw a couple crew members splatting tarantulas. No kidding. 100s of them. It was just before dawn. Freaked me out. No spiders please.

Did I say I hate spiders?????
    I am with you on that. I use a DIY zippered bug net (just finished making my second one tonight). I am more of a car camper so the extra ounces are not a deal breaker. I just sleep better knowing those suckers are on the outside when I am on the inside. I view all of my components (tarp, under quilt, and bug net) with equal value.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    I am with you on that. I use a DIY zippered bug net (just finished making my second one tonight). I am more of a car camper so the extra ounces are not a deal breaker. I just sleep better knowing those suckers are on the outside when I am on the inside. I view all of my components (tarp, under quilt, and bug net) with equal value.
    latriper you should post a video on how to DIY a zippered bug net. I have the noseeum and was going to try one.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    I just got my Dutch bugnet and had the same concern as the OP. I have only used it on a few test hangs so far so I don't have any overnight experience to go by, but what I found is that the cinch closure can be closed up almost completely and then the cinch cord can be pulled inside and used to whip the bunched opening spot closed so that it is completely closed to everything. I have a bug phobia so I take bug protection more seriously than most and I have zero reservations about using this new bugnet on my next trip.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raos View Post
    I just got my Dutch bugnet and had the same concern as the OP. I have only used it on a few test hangs so far so I don't have any overnight experience to go by, but what I found is that the cinch closure can be closed up almost completely and then the cinch cord can be pulled inside and used to whip the bunched opening spot closed so that it is completely closed to everything.
    The Fronkey-style bugnet is not designed to be that tight. There needs to be some looseness so that when the occupant moves, the bugnet doesn't rip at the ridgeline openings (ask me how I know). You might want to rethink whipping the opening closed before you destroy a perfectly good bugnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG cuban fiber
    Insulation
    UGQ 20degree Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    This was done on a setup without an underquilt. I checked very carefully. There was no tightness anywhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast