The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Weight Conscious Hex Tarp Width?

After some thought, I've decided to make a lightweight tarp in a hex pattern. My diy hammock is nice and cozy at 12' long, so it's ridgeline comes in at ~117". I figure the ridgeline of the tarp should be 11.75ft. That part is easy.

I want to make this tarp as light as possible while keeping it useful in the event of an unexpected storm. My first tarp "The BWDD Hex Tarp 2.0" has great coverage, but it's 70D and way bulky.

I found a Cat-Cut Calculator thanks to kerryandjane, so I should be able to cut what ever depth I decide on, but I'd like some suggestions about the distance from the ridgeline to the tie outs. I'm planning on getting silnylon that is ~59" wide. That seems a bit much for a weight conscious tarp, but I'm not sure. Thus this post....

I'm looking through the vendor tarps, but I wanted to get some first hand dos and don'ts.

Thanks
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A hex tarp is already weight-conscious, sacrificing some coverage for lower weight. I made a hex tarp using Fronkey's instructions and any less width would render the tarp fairly useless to me.

tarpdimensions.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=tarp
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks, SilverSurfr!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Just be aware those dimensions aren't symmetric (see the thread). Change the 2ft dimension to 1ft 9in for a symetric tarp,if it bothers or worries you.

You're using a big hammock, but are worried about 1 or 2 oz on a wider tarp? Doesn't seem to make sense. I used a narrower 8'ft wide tarp and experienced some concerns from splash in a heavy rain. Since then all my tarps are full material width. I'd recommend that, especially with the bigger hammock (you'll be sleeping on a larger diagonal, so closer to the tarp edge).

I think it all comes down to just how much coverage you are willing to trade for a slight weight savings. You can definitely get by with an 8.5 or 9 foot wide tarp but that means that in bad weather you are going to have to pitch it very tight with the hammock right up against the ridge. That being said I recommend using the full width of the fabric. You could probably shave a few inches off each side and it would barely be noticeable, however I defiantly enjoy having all the coverage with a 10 foot wide tarp and the extra space and headroom underneath while standing beside my hammock.

Cheers

If you want to save weight look at the camp sleeve for the eureka chrysalis. Form fitting water proof material on top, bug net on bottom.

After re-reading your post and thinking about it I'd say you could get away with shortening each side 3 to 5 inches with no remarkable loss of utility.

On a side note, you could have a much greater weight savings by switching the material to cuben fiber. The HG Winter Palace is on my wish list lol.

Cheers

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I appreciate all the suggestions and comments. I think I'll go with the full width. I considered saving for a cuben tarp, but I like having a place to hide from the full moon. I love sleeping under the stars, but that big bright spot light in the night wakes me up, so I pitch the tarp even on clear nights. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get my material order in. I'll report back with a final product.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How's that new tarp coming? I bought material from DIY Gear Supply based on the Hex tarp but haven't made that first cut yet... Looking forward to your project review...

• + New Posts