Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling

Dolly Sods and late April Snow in WIld West Virginia

This weekend myself, JMBdevotee, and my girlfriend all decided to spend the weekend hiking out at Dolly Sods West Virginia. We took off friday morning and arrived about mid day. Of course this weekend a cold snap had blown in so the perfect weather of the past few weeks had given way to temps in the low 40s and high winds, and an almost certainty of rain. We hopped out of the truck and we were immeditally hit with sustained wind of probably 40mph. After quickly putting on some wind gear we headed down the trail at Bear Rocks. The open areas were fantastic with expansive views all around. As we continuted along Bear Rocks trail we decided to hike the route in reverse to avoid any crowds that may try to scoop up the good campsites early. We bypassed the Dobbin Grade trail because everything we had read and heard, it is a wet soupy mess. With so much rain recently, the trails were all very soupy and a good pair of boots and gaiters were a must. We turned south on Raven Ridge Trail and decended into the , in my best Shug voice, Piney Woods. We did have to hike on Dobbin Grade Trail for about a quarter mile and it was shin deep muck. I can only imagine the misery of hiking several miles along that trail. Once we escaped the bog we continued south on Upper Red Creek Trail. This trail turned from piney woods to old growth hardwoods. At this point we have seen large open fields, piney woods, a marsh, and now old growth hardwoods. This place is amazing. From this trail we decended into a valley along a natural granite staircase that was Red Creek Trail. The water level was pretty high on Red Creek and some amazing campsites were along the river. We passed several campers and I am happy to report we saw more than a few hammocks along the way. We found an out of the way campsite that had plenty of trees and a fire ring on with a great set of stone chairs that overlooked the river. This must be one of the more popular areas to stay in as I have never seen a forest floor so clean and free of anything burnable. Took a bit to find a good amount of firewood but we eventually rounded up enough for a few hours of fire. Everyone retired to their hammocks for a peaceful night of sleep next to the babbling river. We woke up saturday morning to a decently chilly day. We were not in a rush so we grabbed breakfast and went to eat by the creek. About the time we were getting through our first cups of coffee the snow started to fall. Snow turned to icy sleet and we retreated back to camp to finish up breakfast and get packed up. Saturday was supposed to include more hiking but as the weather did not look like it was going to let up we decided to just head back to the truck. We backtracked north on the Red Creek Trail then turned east on Blackbird Knob trail. This was not where we parked but decided hiking along the road would get us back to the car faster and out of the weather. The last mile or so of the Blackbird Knob trail was just as wet and soupy as the trail in so we knew it would slow down progress. Once back to the truck we dropped our packs and grabbed lunch and headed to a nearby rock outcropping with amazing views. The rain rolled back in as we were finishing lunch and back to northern Virgina we came. I can understand the allure of Dolly Sods as I know I will be back out there in short order. I think that mid summer would be hot, crowded, and likely a tick paradise but spring and Fall are fabulous and I cannot wait to get back out there to do the whole loop when we have more time. Below are some picutures I hope you enjoy!

~HEH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Great report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Ticks aren't bad in Summer, but crowds are. Blueberries help.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Have always enjoyed my times in Dolly Sods. Great report. Something about wondering about unexploded ordnance !
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Great report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Ticks aren't bad in Summer, but crowds are. Blueberries help.
    Good to know the ticks aren't bad. I can understand why the crowds would be crazy. Even on a cold, very windy friday the parking lots were full.

~HEH

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Thanks for the report. Was thinking of heading out there this wednesday, for a little 3 day trip.
    Put a pot of chili on the stove to simmer. Let it simmer. Meanwhile, broil a good steak. Eat the steak. Let the chili simmer. Ignore it. -- Allan Shivers

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great pics! Dolly Sods was recommended to us when were in the Cranberry Wilderness just a little over a week ago. Thanks for sharing.

Hot in summer - not unless it's brutal at lower elevations. I've been there in mid summer with highs in the 70's and overnight lows in the 40's. Crowded - it can be. As I tell everyone - avoid weekends, especially holiday ones, and hike less popular trails or hike at off hours and you'll avoid most of the crowds. Again, I've hiked all over up there and largely avoided most people by following my own advice. Ticks - in nearly thirty years in the WV mountains I've never had one tick. I think the cold weather is one factor and the fact that deer hunting is popular in WV is another. Deer overpopulation seems to be directly related to high tick rates (see Shenandoah NP) and hunters keep that in check here.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It was a good trip indeed. Look forward to going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    Great pics! Dolly Sods was recommended to us when were in the Cranberry Wilderness just a little over a week ago. Thanks for sharing.
    What did you think of Cranberry Wilderness? I've seen a bit of info about it but not enough to see if it is worth adding to the list of places to go.

Quote Originally Posted by vdeal View Post
    Hot in summer - not unless it's brutal at lower elevations. I've been there in mid summer with highs in the 70's and overnight lows in the 40's. Crowded - it can be. As I tell everyone - avoid weekends, especially holiday ones, and hike less popular trails or hike at off hours and you'll avoid most of the crowds.
    Glad to know it isn't bad in the summer. It is certainly worth going back. As HEH mentioned the trails were a sloppy mess, which we were prepared for. I imagine it is a bit better but are the trails still relatively wet during the summer?

Dobbin Grade trail never completely dries out - avoid it at all costs. Otherwise the trails aren't bad.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JMBdevotee View Post
    What did you think of Cranberry Wilderness? I've seen a bit of info about it but not enough to see if it is worth adding to the list of places to go.
    I really liked the Cranberry Wilderness and would make return trips. To keep from hijacking this tread, my trip report is HERE.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast