Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Used your hammock as a bivy?

Anyone using their hammock on the ground, such as a bivy? It would seem to make an excellent bivy but I've not tried it yet.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've gone to ground a few times. The Hennessey was difficult, but doable. My present Mosquito Hammock sets up just like a really small tent between two hiking poles. Never tried using either as a bivy since I never needed to.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I agree with the 'seems like' version. I've also not tried it. I think most folks are paranoid about any damage to the body of their hammock which can lead to failure while it is hung off the ground and their posterior is settled in it. A layer of tyvek underneath at a minimum, and maybe put the pad between the tyvek and the hammock would help that issue. Otherwise, a hammock that has a bug net attached looks very much like a bivy. Use the hiking poles attached at each end, and the ridgeline keeps the net off your face. The Blackbird should work very well in this application. Again, I've not actually done it so this is speculation...

Let me know how it worked.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Yep I have done it a couple times with my blackbird.

Tree on one end and my motorcycle on the other.

I had a heavy tarp to put under me (I motorcycle camp so weight is not a problem) and my pad inside the BB.

It worked well, but I worried the whole time that I might be rubbing a hole in it, but I had no choice at the time. It was either that or let the bugs eat me.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I agree with the 'seems like' version. I've also not tried it. I think most folks are paranoid about any damage to the body of their hammock which can lead to failure while it is hung off the ground and their posterior is settled in it. A layer of tyvek underneath at a minimum, and maybe put the pad between the tyvek and the hammock would help that issue. Otherwise, a hammock that has a bug net attached looks very much like a bivy. Use the hiking poles attached at each end, and the ridgeline keeps the net off your face. The Blackbird should work very well in this application. Again, I've not actually done it so this is speculation...

Let me know how it worked.
    Agree with this setup but found the tarp left too little headroom. Suggest using separate ridgeline for tarp to get it off the bugnet.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Why use the hammock at all? You have a tarp, just pitch the tarp and sleep under it. There's no real reason to be completely surrounded by nylon when sleeping outdoors
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    I have a video of it someplace, look under the video section and im sure you'll find it. My way could be a lot better with some more string to make it a 3 way support instead of the shaky 2 way emergency way I showed.

-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRev
    I think such as drastic move as to commandeer Easter candy over a discrediting of the Easter Buny is too extreme.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    Why use the hammock at all? You have a tarp, just pitch the tarp and sleep under it. There's no real reason to be completely surrounded by nylon when sleeping outdoors
    I agree!!! I've tested my clark in the backyard, you know, just to see if it was do-able. I used my trekking poles and had my backpack packed as if I was out on a hike. So only had what was "with" me. I didn't want to put my down under quilt "under" my clark, so the hammock ended up straight on the ground. Then I crawled inside the hammock and was OH SO Uncomfortable!! Ok, so my hammock works this way but then when I went to pack everything back up, there was soooo much dirt on the bottom of my hammock. Plus there was no way I was actually gonna "sleep".... My conclusions were... just set up the tarp with my trekking poles and sit under it while using my backpack to lean against. I was way more comfortable trying to sit/lean than trying to actually lay on that ground!!! Plus my prized hammock was safe and ready for when I found trees again.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    The reason I've used the hammock as a bivi is to utilise the netting to stop being eaten alive by the midges and mosquitos.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gailainne View Post
    The reason I've used the hammock as a bivi is to utilise the netting to stop being eaten alive by the midges and mosquitos.
    That's a good reason. What do you use to keep them away while on the trail; headnet, bug juice? I guess what I am getting at is during the buggy season use what you use on the trail to stop the bugs. I treat most of my gear with Permethrine, bugs are never a worry for me. I guess I slept under a tarp for so long it is just second nature to pitch the tarp in the event there are no trees nearby.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast