WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles

First Hang in my WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL

My hammock arrived yesterday, but alas, my Superfly was backordered. I have been devouring all of the forums and videos and was confident this would be a snap. Well, the short version is that there is a learning curve. I chose a convenient set of trees that were on slightly sloping ground. One tree was downhill from the other. The spacing was at the max reach of the straps. Try as I might, to get the right hang and not drag the ground and still reach high enough on the tree. To top it off, the tree got pitch on my brand new straps. So I gave up and found some more level terrain and used the head high rack on my Jeep as the second tree. Perfect!

The WBBB-XLC with the straps went up very quickly. Now you are talking. But it took me forever to get the 30 degree hang, correct tension on the ridge line, and have the tarp off the ground. It was surprising how a very small adjustment on the strap buckles cause a very large raising or lowering of the hammock. It felt like here was a golden distance between "trees" where everything worked. Since one of my trees could be moved, I found it. I certainly hope that this was just a noob thing because trees in the woods are not so portable.

My plan was to sleep overnight and try out different pads to see if they would keep me warm. The weather here was very warm, in the low 70's, dipping top the upper 50's at night. Since I did not have my superfly, I decided to test out the winter cover and see how it did. Oh oh. Rain is now in the forecast. Not to worry I pitched my 12 ft Noah's tarp that I used on the Alaska motorcycle adventure ride and all was good. My first sleeping pad try was with a 72" x 20" x 1.5 " insulated inflatable pad. Getting it positioned for the diagonal lay was not as quick and easy as I hoped. But once it was held in the second layer, it worked OK. Fast forwarding to 2:00 AM, I found that even in the 59* or so evening, if any small part of my body got off that pad, I could immediately feel it. It wasn't a radical chilling, but it was persistent and resulted in a lingering coolness. I found out that it is going to take more than a 20 inch wide pad to keep parts of me from straying out of the comfort zone.

I experimented with several body positions and was able to sleep on my back, my side, and even on my stomach. BTW, I an about 5'9", 190 lbs. The problem in experimenting with different positions is that my pad moved as I squirmed around. If I wasn't doing so many radical moves, the sleeve should be OK. Being a noob, I tried to reposition the pad while I was still laying on it. I found this is lightly analogous to trying to change your socks while your shoes are still on. Turns out it is very quick and easy to just unzip, swing my legs out and get it right. BTW, getting in and out of the hammock is a learning experience too. There was no problem just sitting down with a gentle plop, but what really worked well was backing into the hammock and letting it swing back a bit until it was butt high, then gently lowering my self down like getting on a playground swing. Same way getting out. This turned out to be the ultimate procedure during my test of the pee bottle. Just swing my legs around, back up until I was standing, then do my thing. Set the pee bottle on the ground then swing back in and go back to sleep. Easy, PEEzy. Much less risky than trying to use a pee bottle in a tent. We made an unscheduled laundry stop on the Alaska trip when something bad happened to my son involving a collapsible Nalgene bottle and a pee break at night.

I hope you experienced hands are tolerantly entertained with my first experience. My target audience for this post is other noobs like me who will be seeing their first hang soon and share some of the things I have not seen elsewhere. I can pretty much guarantee it will be a learning experience the first time. Actually, it is more of a forgetting experience, as in, "Forget that, I'll never do it that way again" as you settle in on what works to get you going. I am having fun experimenting and getting better all the time.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    You are shooting par for the course so far. We've all been there.

Getting under-insulation squared away is the first challenging lesson for most of us. I didn't see you mention the term underquilt (i.e. UQ) in your post. If you're not familiar with what that is, you'll want to read up on the subject a bit. 20-24" pads wide are thoroughly insufficient to keep you warm in a hammock without supplemental effort. Another term you'll want to look up if you're unfamiliar with it is Segmented Pad Extender (i.e. SPE).

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    You are shooting par for the course so far. We've all been there.

Getting under-insulation squared away is the first challenging lesson for most of us. I didn't see you mention the term underquilt (i.e. UQ) in your post. If you're not familiar with what that is, you'll want to read up on the subject a bit. 20-24" pads wide are thoroughly insufficient to keep you warm in a hammock without supplemental effort. Another term you'll want to look up if you're unfamiliar with it is Segmented Pad Extender (i.e. SPE).
    Thanks for the info. Both are on my radar. Need to do some more research on what's out there for SPE.

Tried my son's Thermo-Rest Neolite Large Pad. It measures 77"x25"x2.5" with an R3.2 rating. It packs down to 4.5" dia x 11" and weighs 16.5 oz. It is FAR better both because of the wider footprint and the 77" seems to work better in the longer WBBB-XLC. Pricey though at near UQ cost. It is essential that I be able to go to ground so I will end up with some kind of pad.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I was entertained . Brought back some memories.
    Check out SPE (segmented pad extenders, i believe) posts if you stick with pads. They are a way to add some width to the shoulder area.
    Trees that are far apart are difficult for even those that have been around for awhile.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    MisterS. I got a Gossamer Gear pad 40x72xthreesixteennths I think. It's too big for hiking but great for car camping and will be ok to 50degrees. And I got a Wilderness Logics 20degree under quilt--under quilts are great. And when it's really cold I use pad and quilt both at once. There is a lot to learn on under insulation and its worth it to sleep warm.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterS View Post
    It is essential that I be able to go to ground so I will end up with some kind of pad.
    Most of us thought the same thing at the start, yet you'll find more people here use UQs than pads. Expectations, priorities and plans change as you begin to both trust and understand the limitations of your gear.

I really tried to stick with just a pad, but it didn't work for me. Now I have quilts too. My pads are always going to stay at home unless I know or highly suspect I'm going to ground, or I need the supplemental insulation on top of my quilt.

If I was a betting man I'd bet you'll wind up with both forms of bottom insulation before you have everything fully dialed in. That's par for the course too...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    I will be doing primarily motorcycle camping on an adventure bike. My son wants to reintroduce me to backpacking. Many of the places we stayed on our 6 week Alaska ride were developed campsites with limited places to hang. Above the Arctic Circle there are no trees! Some of the national and provincial parks mandate that you camp on their prepared pad. So we must be prepared to go to ground.

That said, I agree with your bet that I will eventually end up with both. Thanks to everyone for taking the time for very useful guidance and suggestions.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Let me introduce you to the next item on your wishlist:

Handy Hammock

Hammocking_without_trees_-_Scotland-677x418.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles

Handy Hammock

Both my son and I bought one. They are marvels of engineering and extremely capable.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    whatever it takes
    Suspension
    Web Straps

Handy Hammock