Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

elevation

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    What's the difference in elevation between each end of a 30' piece of webbing?
    The anchors most likely are lower than the hammock. If you are using a small tree or boulder for support then they are a little higher than six feet.

I just took three pictures of the technique in my local park. A Claytor No Net is hung between two small trees conected to anchors with 30 feet of webbing. Both 30 foot webbing weighs 13.2 oz.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I just took three pictures...
    Oh, I understand now! The small trees are the right distance apart for hanging the hammock, and the anchors are distant.

I thought you were using a really long span!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

possible not desirable

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Oh, I understand now! The small trees are the right distance apart for hanging the hammock, and the anchors are distant.

I thought you were using a really long span!

- MacEntyre
    Notice that I used the word possible NOT desirable. The hang in my pictures is acceptable, but sloppy. There is a lot of spring, but it does keep you off the ground. I once hung between a couple of small Cat Claws. There is a reason the common name for Acacia greggii is Cat Claw. It was a solid hang, but unpleasant.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    When i was hanging on the bank of the Rhône in Avignon earlier this summer my suspension was pretty close to its max so the span from tree to tree must have been around 36feet/11m.
    I had to climb up the tree a little because i had to join two tree huggers and hang them at ~8feet /2,5m height. The spot was really nice though, the bank made a big step down towards the Rhône so the hammock could hang below groundlevel (the RL was probably a foot or two below "ground")

It was a fun hang, unfortunately i forgot to ask people with cameras for a picture.

Another time there were only the tiniest trees and we had chosen to hang 2 hammocks either side by side or in a triangle so we could chill there and talk before sleeping. We probably spent way over an hour adjusting the hang and trying out different ideas. We ended up in a twisted triangle feet hanging on the one beefy tree/stump and both headends hung over different supports but tied to the same anchor.Again a great night.

Then sometimes there is one big tree and you can hang from one branch to another !

Just look around early enough and consider hangs that seem nuts or out of reach at first.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Scottybdiving! It's always good to see more Texas folks showing up on here.

I'd follow Animal Control and Food's advice and go planning on alternatives to a traditional hang as back up. I like bringing a pad to unfamiliar territory in case I need to go to ground and just tarp it. I also like Food's suggestion on creative hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12