Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger

Field test in Algonquin Provincial Park

My son and I got to field test our gear this past weekend ..... and what a test! The weather was outstanding. It was near 20*C during the day and sunny and was getting down to 7*C at night. Made for bright cheery days and spectacular sunsets!
    DSC08532.JPGDSC08573.JPG

Because we didn't canoe or carry our stuff in this time (used a motor boat), the gear was a bit bulky. We even brought a game of Risk for the night time around the fire. Both hammocks, ridge lines, stakes, Dutch clips, tree huggers and tarps fit into an old tent bag I had laying around.
    DSC08542.JPG

I kept the hammocks close together because we both wanted the view of the lake at night. Ryan won out and got to sleep closer to the water. His bug net uses velcro along both lengths, which I am not fond of, but it works. His was the first gathered end hammock that I did and it turned out well. He doesn't know he is the guinea pig for my gear. You can see him poking his head out of his hammock. He is quite a trooper for an 11 year old. He has been on a spring trip (early May) and a fall trip (late Sept) every year since he was 5. He will NOT entertain the idea of a tent anymore .... strictly a hanger now
    DSC08549.JPG

My hammock is a gathered end 1.1oz ripstop. I liked the idea of the bug net that is attached to the head and foot with short lengths of velcro but uses the weight in the side pockets to keep it from lying around. I've opted for the Dutch clips at the tree, 1-1/2" rings at the tree huggers and a larkshead at the hammock. Easy to attach everything and quick to adjust.
    DSC08551.JPGDSC08554.JPGDSC08555.JPG

Finally, because I got started so late this year and the budget got cut, I had to use what was available for tarps. The one on the left is an old tent floor (I hate throwing anything away) and the one on the right is a $6 poly in camo. I added some tie outs to the tent bottom and it turned out OK. They got tested on a vertical rain on the last night. If there had been any wind, you can see we would have been a bit wet. They also worked well to protect us from the onslaught of pine cones being pummeled at us from the 5 or 6 red squirrels on the site. I have to say, when a pine cone hits a poly tarp from 30 ft above ..... it is LOUD!
    DSC08560.JPG

Lesson's learned :
    UQ are required. Both of us complained of cold feet every night.
    Lightweight tarps that will reach to the ground might be a good option, but the warmth may come before this.

This years trip was a sucess. I am already looking forward to the spring for another trip with my son. Thanks to all the contributers, comments and DIY's who give an endless amount of knowledge and experience to this site. It made it easier for me to get involved and start making my own gear.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Thats pretty sweet. I wish I had gotten into hammock camping when I was 11!

-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinRev
    I think such as drastic move as to commandeer Easter candy over a discrediting of the Easter Buny is too extreme.

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by climberslacker View Post
    Thats pretty sweet. I wish I had gotten into hammock camping when I was 11!

-CS
    you and me both brother.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Jodster, nice looking trip and hammocks. Great spot for a hang. I love the solar kitchen.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    looks good-thx for the report..nice to have beautiful weather in the fall.i'm heading for a hike in Temagami this week-end and the weather's not looking so nice

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Very cool, thanks for sharing, My son is five now and I am going to try to make a point to get him out for a father son camping trip a couple times a year as well. Nice picks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Great trip report! Ahhhh another little convert!

That is really wonderful that you get to bring your son and make special memories!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Green Flash!

Jodster, you caught a Green Flash in your sunset!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Thanks everyone! The time goes by so fast. On his first trip he couldn't even reach the water with his paddle.....now he has replaced my wife as my bowman(person). Take every chance you can with the kids ..... they do grow up too fast!

Mac ..... meant to do that!

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    That is really wonderful that you get to bring your son and make special memories!
    I was just sitting here thinking about all the trips we have been on and one of those special memories comes to mind most frequently. Bear with me on this one ....

After a long day of paddling we set up a campfire with my brother on a rock on the edge of a perfectly calm lake. The stars were out, the lake was glass-like and the loons were calling from the far side of the lake.

I said to my son, "This is a perfect night."

Without missing a beat, he replied, "Every night is a perfect night out here."

Out of the mouths of babes .....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast