Thread: Sleeping bag

Sleeping bag

I am looking for a down sleeping bag that is good to 20° that pack small and doesn't break the bank what suggestions do you guys have I would like to stay less than $350

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Does weight matter to you? How about a quilt? You can get a nice Hammock Gear 20º quilt for less than that.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Marmot Sawtooth will come in a good bit under that. The adventure companion has one and loves it. I've played in it a few times, gets really warm really fast. It isn't quite as light or compressible as my Alpinlite but then it's less than half the price. It's a great deal on a great bag and leaves plenty of extra in your pocket.

Campmor has it shipped for $220.

http://www.campmor.com/marmot-sawtoo...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    DD hammocks topquilt?
    snugpack sleeping bags
    both are synthetic,. but are cheep.

but you could look at a small UK company called Paul hitchins Design PHDesigns.com i believe - they make excel;lent bags and stupidly light. for an example my mother (a tour guide) uses her 20degree bag in the himalayas.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Big Agnes Lost Ranger mummy. 15 degree bag. Still need a pad or UQ with it. It does have a pad pocket.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It really depends on what's important to you: weight, pack size, Mummy or rectangular, etc. Since I just got done heavily researching sleeping bag options, I'll paste my main findings below. Sorry for the lack of formatting, I'm posting from my phone. I liked the Big Agnes system because I do hate trying to stay on my pad all night. Considering my biggest factors were weight and pack size, while still allowing me room to bend my legs, and this will be my only bag for many years, my final decision was the Big Agnes Mystic SL (last year's model):

Big Agnes Mystic SL 15 bag (2lbs 4oz reg, 2lb 7oz long; Stuff Size 8x17.5; Fill weight 15oz/16.5oz; Long 6'6"; 800 fill Downtek; Specs Link) more roomy "Classic" shape,
    Pair with Big Agnes Q-Core SL pad: 19oz for 20x78x3.5 version (long), $169, insulated - rated to 15*

My Research
    Read this http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...und-1678311003
    And this: http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...a-b-1641760463 And this: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultral...ng-Bag-Reviews
    Big Agnes Zirkel SL 20: less roomy mummy shape than the Mystic.
    Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15: More roomy/wide. 650 fill DownTek down, Reg is 2lb 15oz, Long is 3lb 5oz. Compressed size = 8"x7.5" or 8"x8.5". $279-$299. Link Built-in pillow pocket, "70 inches of girth at the shoulders, 66 inches at the hips, and 54 inches at the feet for the regular, compared to a typical mummy’s mere 62, 58, and 40 inches."
    Sierra Design's Back Country Bed is a notable example with which I have much experience. I like it, but I love the Big Agnes. The equivalent Back Country Bed (800-fill, 3-season) is slightly heavier and its pad sleeve is only half-length. Its foot box is also noticably tighter and it doesn't pack nearly as small as the Mystic, which I managed to squeeze into a 5-liter Sealline waterproof stuff sack. It's larger, heavier, doesn't pack as small or sleep as comfortably, but the Backcountry Bed is about $60 cheaper.
    Big Agnes Boot Jack 24:2lbs 3oz, only 600 fill power, 72"Lx60" girth.$180. "You get the performance of a three-season down bag at the price of a synthetic." http://www.backpacker.com/gear/sleep...-sleeping-bag/ *No integrated sleeping pad or sleeve.
    kelty-cosmic-21°down-bag: 2 lbs. 11 oz. Shoulder 62" EN rated 21°, Stuff sack volume 11.5 liters (http://www.rei.com/product/847649/ke...1-sleeping-bag)
    It's NOT DRI-DOWN! "If you are looking to spend a little extra for a little more warmth and a whole lot more piece of mind, think about the Kelty
    Ignite DriDown 20 sleeping bag. Kelty claims that this bag will stay drier 10 times longer, retain 170% more loft when wet, and dry 33% faster than a conventional down bag.
    " -But the Ignite is 2lbs 12oz.

Images
    I've been eyeballing feathered friends for a while. They have great reviews.
    http://featheredfriends.com/down-sle...ee-season.html

Nojope, Big Agnes Ranger looks like a great deal, I have a Q core SL pad, how does big Agnes system sleep in a hammock? I want abag that packs really small.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have owned and used both the BA Zirkel 20* and BA Mystic 15* with a hammock. Both are warm and keep the pad in place. The Zirkel has only half a pad sleeve so the pad stays in place but you can move your feet and legs around. The Mystic is the wider of the two. I use an Exped Winterlite downmat as my pad. It has the highest R-value that you can buy(R=8). The Therm-a-rest Neoair Xlite is almost as warm and is lighter. Both are a bit spendy but worth it. Good luck.

• + New Posts