WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

Advice on new hex tarp

I ordered a Superfly a couple days ago, then got notice that Warbonnet updated their lead times to like 5-7 weeks. I have a week long thru hike scheduled in a month and I have to have a tarp by then. My end goal was to eventually have a Superfly and something smaller, possibly in cuben fiber. I was thinking of returning the Superfly and getting something smaller for the moment.

OES Maccat deluxe show to be in stock right now. I could get an AHE Tox shipped within a week. JRB has hex tarps in stock. Simply Light could even ship a winter haven in a couple days. Any suggestions? It really doesn't get that cold down here, but I am coming from a tent. Switching to a hex tarp without doors has me thinking I will have rain blow in with my luck, hence why I initially ordered a Superfly. Is this actually an issue in some tarps, or are you tucked up enough that it doesn't happen? Thanks.
    Last edited by jackh; 05-01-2015 at 00:40.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Blowing rain happens, definitely, which is why I love tarps with doors. OES has had customer service problems in the past, and I've seen no indication they've stopped.

Take a look at the other vendors you listed if you need it in a timely manner.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you're under a decent tree canopy generally blowing rain isn't a problem period (the tree's act as a wind break, and you just get the rain dripping through the tree cover.

When you setup, try to position the side of your tarp into the wind also helps (be mindful of storm patterns for the area you're in). However, even when the wind has changed on me I haven't gotten wet.

I typically only use door's to prevent the "wind tunnel" effect on cold night's.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    I ordered a Superfly a couple days ago, then got notice that Warbonnet updated their lead times to like 5-7 weeks. I have a week long thru hike scheduled in a month and I have to have a tarp by then. My end goal was to eventually have a Superfly and something smaller, possibly in cuben fiber. I was thinking of returning the Superfly and getting something smaller for the moment.

OES Maccat deluxe show to be in stock right now. I could get an AHE Tox shipped within a week. JRB has hex tarps in stock. Simply Light could even ship a winter haven in a couple days. Any suggestions? It really doesn't get that cold down here, but I am coming from a tent. Switching to a hex tarp without doors has me thinking I will have rain blow in with my luck, hence why I initially ordered a Superfly. Is this actually an issue in some tarps, or are you tucked up enough that it doesn't happen? Thanks.
    I camp almost exclusively in the Sam Houston National Forest on the Lone Star Trail, and you know the kind of rain we get out here on the coast. I've used a Hennessy Hex for most of that time and coverage is usually adequate even without doors. The trick is site selection---making sure the ridgeline of your tarp is perpendicular to prevailing winds. The problem with doors down here is the heat. You've got to balance your fear of getting your hammock wet with your need for airflow, especially in the summer. You're going to go porch mode to promote that airflow, making doors moot in the process.

Having said that, I'll say that I have removable doors on my hex. There are times they are needed. Winter is one of them and there are certain times of the year when the rain is going to be windblown and we don't know what direction they will be coming from, and of course they are useful for heat retention when it does get cold.

Any of the tarps you mention will do the job you need them to do for most of the year in Texas (and it does look like OES has gotten their act together, especially for items listed as in stock), even without doors, but you might want to look into a Grizz Beak (or 2) from 2QZQ to close off the ends of your tarp when you feel the need:

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/tarpaccessories.html

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    If you're under a decent tree canopy generally blowing rain isn't a problem period (the tree's act as a wind break, and you just get the rain dripping through the tree cover.

When you setup, try to position the side of your tarp into the wind also helps (be mindful of storm patterns for the area you're in). However, even when the wind has changed on me I haven't gotten wet.

I typically only use door's to prevent the "wind tunnel" effect on cold night's.
    +1 on this advice.

With being in a warm climate, you might actually appreciate having the wind tunnel affect on muggy nights.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream - Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly/Mac Cat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    image.jpg
    The pic shows the Mac cat on the left and jrb hex tarp on the right. I ordered my Mac cat on Black Friday 2014 without incident. Ymmv. The jrb is heavier but you will not need to worry about receiving it in a timely manner.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Blowing rain happens, definitely, which is why I love tarps with doors. OES has had customer service problems in the past, and I've seen no indication they've stopped.

Take a look at the other vendors you listed if you need it in a timely manner.
    We know SS. It's time to let it go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl/Switchback
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx/Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQs+20burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle+Dutch

Advice on new hex tarp

Have the superfly and the maccat deluxe and really like both. While the Boy Scout in me wants the doors to be prepared for anything, I have yet to use them. I know there's always a complaint against OES' service somewhere on the forum, but I've had no problems at all and really think the maccat might be the perfect hammock tarp. Do yourself a favor and buy some of mountaingoat's mesh tarp skins, too.
    Last edited by Bob Bobson; 05-04-2015 at 05:29.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For what it's worth, I would sell my Superfly before I sell my MacCat Deluxe

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    I have the Superfly and love it. I can only compare to Eno tarps. I am looking for an additional tarp and may try Simply light designs or OES.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast