Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch

Side by side bugnet

I had started a thread in a different section without much luck on response - figured the DIY section might get a different result. Here's the skinny of it: I've finally convinced my wife to backpack with me, but she wants to stay close with double dutch hooks. No problem there, my tarp is just big enough, I think. For bugnets though, she balked at having separate fronkey style nets. Being that I also take my dog with me and have been trying to figure out a way to keep bugs off him at night, I thought I might try to DIY some sort of extra large version of the Grand Trunk Mozzy. One net, space for gear, protection for the dog - problem solved?

Here's my plan so far. Make a bathtub floor out of a Yukon Outfitters rainfly, attach enough NS50 from ripstopbytheroll to make a large A-frame net that will attach to the underside of my tarp, and put zippers on the ends. Of course, I'll have to figure out an elegant way to allow the suspensions to pass through the ends, but I think that shouldn't be much of a problem. Has anybody done anything similar? Am I crazy for trying this? I realize it's going to be a little heavy (and maybe someday I can swap out the rainfly for some cuben), but I'm willing to shoulder the load if gets the wife out in the woods with me

Hammock
    Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    I don't think it's crazy. I was considering something similar before I settled on the Fronkey style. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Nope not crazy at all. Especially if it gets your wife out there spending time doing things you love too. As for your pass through ENO might have the design solution already for you.

It just draws together over the rope and uses a cord lock to keep it together

Maybe sew in some pull outs into the bug netting to help support it, it figure out a light weight tent pole frame of some sort.

• + New Posts