Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Affordable UQs: Jarbidge VS Shamu?

Going to take the plunge and buy an underquilt.
    On a budget and DIY is not an option.
    I am torn between the Jarbidge and MollyMac's Shamu.
    Insight from those that have used either, (or other options in that price range),would be helpful.
    Live in the Pac NW, probably won't camp much below 40* this year.
    If it gets colder I can throw a pad in.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    I'm following this thread. Looking to do the same thing with exactly the same reasoning.
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I don't have a MM, so I can't give input on that, but the Jarbidge is super. Another inexpensive option is the SLD QuikHang. It's full length, which I like, and has a better suspension than the Jarbidge, but won't be as warm as a 3 season Jarbidge (4.0 climashield vs. 6.0 climashield). I have 2 of the QuikHangs and 3 of the 3 season Jarbidges (I have 4 kids), and you can't go wrong with either in summer time. After summer, I move to my UGQ, so I don't really hit colder weather in the Jarbidge, anyway.

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/436

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I have both, and I use the shamu for my indoor set up and jar bridge outside, I know that for me it seems that both of them have basic suspension but the heavier and warmer jar bridge is a bit easier to adjust. T he shamus will get me down to 40. 35 in a pinch and the jarbridge will get me to 20 but it's not full length so I need something under my feet..alot depends on how you sleep (cold or hot) and where you sleep. Either is a great product and yes the shamus is lighter
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 05-02-2015 at 11:57.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Mychal, canyou tell us a little bith more about the QuikHang suspension? I have a nagging suspicion that I am going to be happier with a full-length UQ even though I've been really thinking Jarbridge. Dollars vs. comfort is driving my search, but the less fiddling I have to do, the better. I just really don't think I have a need to be worried beyond 35-40 degrees. I can always layer up or stay home!
    Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    - Jack Handey

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I don't have a MM, so I can't give input on that, but the Jarbidge is super. Another inexpensive option is the SLD QuikHang. It's full length, which I like, and has a better suspension than the Jarbidge, but won't be as warm as a 3 season Jarbidge (4.0 climashield vs. 6.0 climashield). I have 2 of the QuikHangs and 3 of the 3 season Jarbidges (I have 4 kids), and you can't go wrong with either in summer time. After summer, I move to my UGQ, so I don't really hit colder weather in the Jarbidge, anyway.

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/436
    What's the coldest you've ever taken the Quick Hang down to?
    I like the idea of a full-length quilt, but my feet just don't get too cold, (I usually end up peeling my wool socks off halfway through the night), so maybe the 3/4 Jarbidge might be OK for me...
    Would love to have the option of going colder if I could...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The few times my feet have gotten cold using a 3/4 length UQ ( I use a HG 20 Phoenix and a 1S, 3S and 4S Jarbidge ), I just threw my jacket down at the foot end of the hammock and put my feet on it and problem solved.

The Terminator is short enough at 5ft 3 that a 3/4 UQ is FL for her.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    Mychal, canyou tell us a little bith more about the QuikHang suspension? I have a nagging suspicion that I am going to be happier with a full-length UQ even though I've been really thinking Jarbridge. Dollars vs. comfort is driving my search, but the less fiddling I have to do, the better. I just really don't think I have a need to be worried beyond 35-40 degrees. I can always layer up or stay home!
    The SLD QH has a full channel suspension along the sides, with line loc 3's at each corner. I've found this more easily adjustable for me than the corner suspension of the AHE JB.

Also, remember that AHE has an excellent full length, synthetic UQ, in the New River (Which I also have, but in 4 season).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrknot View Post
    What's the coldest you've ever taken the Quick Hang down to?
    I like the idea of a full-length quilt, but my feet just don't get too cold, (I usually end up peeling my wool socks off halfway through the night), so maybe the 3/4 Jarbidge might be OK for me...
    Would love to have the option of going colder if I could...
    I'm a very cold sleeper, so maybe factor that in, but I cannot get the SLD QH below 50. This is strictly a summer UQ for me. I was comfortable with the AHE JB at a little over 40 one night, but I'm 6'5", and I needed 2 of the AHE 1/8" foot pads under my calves to get through the night. I'm sure if I had a better (ie slightly bigger) pad for my calves, I would have been more comfortable.

Remember that both Paul at AHE and Jared at Simply Light Designs are great to work with and seem to give really straightforward advice, even if they think you might be best served with another company's product.

If you really want a warmer QH because of the suspension (something I might want someday), I'd reach out to Jared and ask about a custom QH with 6.0 climashield. With tarps and hammocks, you can order materials from places like RSBTR or Dutch, and have them shipped to Jared, if he doesn't have it in stock. Maybe he'll do the same with insulation.

One last thing: Jared is instant gratification. It is not uncommon for you to place a heavily custom order in the afternoon, only to find out he built it overnight and shipped it at dawn.

• + New Posts