Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Explorer Ultralight

I just recently saw the sale on www.hennessyhammocks.com for their ultralight models, 20% off and free snake skins. So I purchased the Explorer UL, just waiting for the package now.

I currently have an ENO Doublenest and love it for day hikes and lounging but wanted something to eventually replace my tent, I hope this new HH will be that item.

I had a couple questions though, what is the stock suspension like on a HH? And what is the pack size of the entire unit?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    You may find answers to the questions you ask, and ones you haven't thought yet to ask by reading reviews at backpackgeartest.com. There are three up on this hammock.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks, I'll check those out right now.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Plan on swapping the suspension. I use webbing and ring buckles. The ropes are fine and the lightest suspension according to the gram weenies. But cumbersome compared to the sweet simplicity of some other systems.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

swapping suspension...

Lots of people have changed out the suspension on their HH's. There are varying degrees of this. The single thing you can do to vastly reduce set-up time and complexity is to attach the suspension line to tree using something other than the Hennessy wrap. Yes, it works fine and is old school, but is overly complicated.

A very cheap and easy way to ditch the wrap is to get a couple of load-rated carabiners (ok, not so cheap...) or just a couple of load-rated rings, about 1.5 inches in diameter (I am fond of the SMC descending ring). This will be used as an "anchor point" on the rope. You thread the ring or biner on the suspension line, wrapping the line around the device about 3 times. Put the cord through the tree hugger loops just as HH instructs, but rather than doing the wrap, bring the working end down to the ring/biner, pass the cord through that, and then finish off with a slippery half hitch through which you pass another slippery half hitch. Or a instead of the slippery half hitches, put in a slippery buntline hitch.

The wonderful word of DIY suspensions is covered in some videos, webbing, cord part 1, cord part 2, and constriction ropes.

The business about the ring on the line is covered in cord part 2.

Now if you go all gram weenie you can replace the stock 5mm cord with something lighter and sufficiently strong. 7/64" Amsteel is popular here, I myself am fond of 3mm Vectrus. Both are significantly lighter than the stock HH cord. To do that right involves tearing apart the suspension system and putting it back together. Not too hard but also not for the faint of heart and those that care about the warranty
    I'll be doing that soon on my Explorer to put in a constriction rope suspension.

Enjoy! The Explorer is a nice hammock.

Grizz

• + New Posts