WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images

Straight stitches....or not

I just finished my first hammock DIY.

1) How the heck do I keep the stitching straight???????

2) Do I need to sew at slow speed?
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    First of all it is usually an operator fault if it’s not a straight seam. We all made them!
    • Practice!
    • Make sure the fabric is lose and can be pulled in to the machine easy.
    • For most machines you can get an extension platform (don’t know what it called in English) but it widens the surface of the sewing machine. It makes it more easy to handle the large fabric. Ideally the machine should be build in to a table but that is another story.
    • If you have an extension make some clearly visible lines. They are for visual guidance. I use masking tape. The longer they are the better.
    • Speed can sometimes be your friend but it isn’t always the case.
    • When you have made the first few stitches don’t look at the presser foot or the needle. Its going nowhere. Your job is to keep the fabric parallel with the marks (tape).
    • I find it more easy to guide if the hand on the front side of the machine is at least 10” or more from the presserfoot.
    • Light can be your enemy or your friend. Shadows can fool you.
    • Do not overcorrect if you make a small mistake. Remember the fabric rotates around the needle not the front of the presserfoot.
    • Your position in front of the machine also matters. If you don’t have a guide you may pull the fabric to one side because it looks right from your position.
    • If you use the sides of the presserfoot as reference the seam will be as straight or as skew as the edge or the other seam you follow.
    • If you use a contrast color thread any mistakes you make will be more visible.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Yes, the strip of masking tape works wonders for keeping the seams straight (er). The more you sew the better you'll get. I used to use a long scrap piece of fabric and sewed seams down it. Its like any other skill - the more you practice the better you get.

Snowballs list is right on -

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Thanks Snowball. Those tips are very helpful.
    "Everything works if you let it." - Corpus C. Redfish

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Another tip.
    It’s not uncommon to draw a line with chalk and use it as reference. However drawing a straight line on fabric can be a challenge by itself. Make sure the fabric is laying flat it helps if you use masking tape and tape it to the floor. This is not my idea and I tried it for the first time one hour ago. You can use a straight edge when marking and the longer it is the better. I have a 2 meter (79”) long made in aluminum. Its also handy when I have to fold fabric.
    If you have the floor space you can also tape all 4 corners to the floor draw a mark in etch end attach the tape to the first mark + the floor, back down to the other mark holding the tape in an angle and when you have aligned it press it down to the second mark. Then press the tape down in the full length but no Crawling or waking on the fabric ! it may shift. Do not sew in the tape it’s for visual guidance only! This trick will not work on all fabrics especially on silnylon and similar with slippery surfaces.
    If the tape can stick to the fabric besides the visual guide it can also make the fabric mere easy to handle because it makes it stiffer but you have to make sure it will stick and don’t fall off while handling. Do not lave tape on the fabric overnight or for longer time in sunlight! Remove it as soon as possible.
    You cannot use any tape for this because the glue may stick more or less permanent to the fabric but masking tape is designed to be pulled off.
    IMG_20150509_141753.jpg
    Last edited by Snowball; 05-09-2015 at 07:23.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Thanks for all the great tips. I will look into an extension platform of some sort and tape. I did rush a bit because I wanted to get to the finished product. I bought plenty fabric knowing I did have to practice.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    What snowball said... Particularly not looking at the needle and presser foot, unless of course the edge of you presser foot is your guide. Let the machine do the work. keep enough tension on the fabric to it controlled but do NOT pull it through the machine. That's what the feed dogs are for.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    What snowball said... Particularly not looking at the needle and presser foot, unless of course the edge of you presser foot is your guide. Let the machine do the work. keep enough tension on the fabric to it controlled but do NOT pull it through the machine. That's what the feed dogs are for.
    Yep. ..I was totally watching the needle. Oh well. This is practice hammock #1.....anyone care to try it out....

• + New Posts