Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hanging close together

I went out on a weekend overnight backpack trip with my wife last weekend. She used a WBBB SL 1.7 and I used a WB Traveler SL 1.7. We both used Te-was underquilts. I had a Maccat Deluxe tarp, and she used a Speer 8x10. After some fiddling we figured how to combine the tarps to hang relatively close to each other, using a common tree on the foot end. It worked out really well for us, we could visit and talk and hand things across to each other and not feel isolated from each other. We used hiking poles and trees on some of the tarp guylines. Maybe doing this is pretty obvious to most, but for folks whose wives are leery of hanging because of the isolation issue (and who have not invested in a Clark Vertex or Doublehammock setup yet), it does show what's possible. Next time I may take the JRB 10x11 and see if I can get coverage for both of us with some creative pitching. I'd be interested to see what other folks do when hanging with their significant other.

Pictures of our setup in the attached photos:

Last edited by drewboy; 09-28-2009 at 09:08.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was just going to imquire about the same thing. My wife and I have been using a common tree at the foot so far, and whatever works on the head end. Sometimes the different trees a short distance apart other times it's the same tree on the head end (preferably a tree about 18 inch diameter) with the ropes rigged on each side. She likes to be close. The last 2 nights she slept in my hammock. Its tight but it works, i'm thinking about making a double but am very scared of sewing the seam to get it wide enough. Any ideas???

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have been wondering about this a bit myself lately. My wife had planed to get out with me on at least one or two hikes this year, but one thing led to another and she got pregnant. So no backpacking this year for us together, but next year I would like to try to get her out and I know that even though she wants me to do up a purple sil tarp for her, she will want to be hanging close. So I may need to do one large tarp for the both of us.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Check out this post on a custom OES 10x12 tarp. I gotta get one.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10412

We just got back from a week trip in Minnesota's Boundary Waters. My wife, brother-in-law, and I were all in hammocks, the 4th of our party ground dwelling. My wife used our WBBB 1.7dl and I an ENO DN with cinch strap mod. We started under separate tarps (my wife with the WB Superfly, and me under an OES Dlx) but after a night hearing a moose crashing through the woods behind our camp, I was (strenuously) encouraged to bring my hammock a bit closer and we ended up cohabitating under the Superfly for the rest of the trip. This worked out very well. The Superfly was broad enough for both hammocks, the extra guy-outs on both sides of the fly let us pull up the sides for extra headroom, and the snapped on "doors" at the end let us bring our straps through the center at the shared tree, and between snaps on the separate trees at the other end.

But alas. My love has declared the separate hammock setup a deal breaker for future trips. And I have to admit it didn't feel like as much of trip together compared to prior trips where we slept together on the ground. Gotta look more at Dblhammocks setup and figure something out before next spring. The Vertex just isn't going to fit the bill for us. Together under one roof, but still separate. What can we say? Snuggling's good for our souls.

Bottom line though, we both loved the WB Superfly. That baby is coming on all future trips even if we are not sleeping under it. More than enough room for 4 to sit comfortably and play cards in inclement weather!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    VERY cool BER - I like how much room you were able to make inside by pulling up towards the trees.

My fiance has some silnylon on the way and she is exploring different tarp designs - these kinds of threads are awesome for coming up with ideas.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    ...but one thing led to another and she got pregnant.
    Haha, sorry, this made me laugh out loud!

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images

Tarp Solution

Drewboy,

Check out the guide gear 12x12 tarp. $30. It's diamond shamped with real dimensions of 16ft+ by 13ft. 2lbs scares a lot of people, but really isn't much more the two single hammock tarps.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Drewboy ... the only thing I'd question is ... in event of a rain you got a funnel heading right for your hammock. I believe an overlap with the inside lap up might prevent that.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Just a look at a way my wife and I have hung... No, the dog uses the one on the ground not me! (I have been and often do end up in the doghouse though)

It did rain on this trip. We did have the overlap so that it all ran off one side.

------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast