Tarp
    whichever works!
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    Hi,

I may get blasted for saying this but if you really want / need to "get away" in January you might think about using the Shelter System until the weather matches your hammock setup.

If the weather isn't to bad "Hang" if the weather is bad go to a Shelter.
    'Shelter System' ? The only 'shelter system' that i'm familiar with is the Hennessy Super Shelter system, which unfortunatly wont work, as I have a Blackbird... Please explain?

I like the idea about just getting some cheap tarps and dumping them when warmer weather comes, but knowing myself I dont think that would work. Maybe in conjunction with some of the other 'upgrades' that I'd need...
    Do or do not; there is no try - Yoda
    We're on a mission from God - Elwood Blues

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    Hi,

I may get blasted for saying this but if you really want / need to "get away" in January you might think about using the Shelter System until the weather matches your hammock setup.

If the weather isn't to bad "Hang" if the weather is bad go to a Shelter.
    I'm not going to blast you, but agree with you. You will see sub zero temps. Not to mention a lot of darkness. Did I mention a lot of darkness? I finished my southbound AT thru Jan 20th in 07. There were times it was freakin cold, other unseasonably warm. Prepare for the really freakin cold.

Be ready for sub zero and then some. If I were you and dead set on hammocking (I went to the ground after it was a certain temp all the time), still be able to go to the ground when needed. Have a warm pad which is also great in the hammock to add extra warmth.

Warm water bottles and all the other tricks are ok for awhile, but unless you want to night hike a lot, plan on a lot of time in the hammock.

A huge thing for me was eating in my sleeping bag in the morning (yeah right not going to do that when I am froozen). I would sleep with all my clothes in my bag, then get dressed in almost everything while in the bag. Than jump out quick, throw everything in the bag, and take off down the trail. A mile or two later I would warm up enough to relayer or do anything else needed.

Good luck. If I would end up without a job I would join you. Too many people around in the woods sucks...........Southbound Pride!
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    pick up some of those instant heat thingys. toe, foot, hand warmers, whichever ones you can find. Having something like this in your first aid kit will make the difference between freezing some night and sleeping warm. Also, make sure you're packing enough food. Not eatting enough at night will cause you to sleep colder than you have to. And you might be able to string up your hammock inside the shelters!!!

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    just remember that any quickly designed and built warmth system that you make will probably not last more than one good trip and could fail the first time out. but I think its the adversity that you are looking for to work out those internal demons. with that in mind I wish I was in the position to go suffer that with you.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    whichever works!
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    but I think its the adversity that you are looking for to work out those internal demons.
    Well I DEF do have some demons, but that's not why I'm thinking of pushing up my start date - I get off military orders this month. I can live off my savings for 2 months to start in January - not really the case with a March start date. That means finding a job for 4, 5 months. It can work, but I'd much prefer being on the trail rather than working while daydreaming about hiking when the weather clears up.

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medicdude332 View Post
    'Shelter System' ? The only 'shelter system' that i'm familiar with is the Hennessy Super Shelter system, which unfortunatly wont work, as I have a Blackbird... Please explain?

I like the idea about just getting some cheap tarps and dumping them when warmer weather comes, but knowing myself I dont think that would work. Maybe in conjunction with some of the other 'upgrades' that I'd need...
    and I think the shelter systems he was referring to are of the permanent type that sit along the trail not something you actually take with you. those will come in handy if you go in Jan. think of them like rest areas on the side of the highway.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    whichever works!
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    and I think the shelter systems he was referring to are of the permanent type that sit along the trail not something you actually take with you. those will come in handy if you go in Jan. think of them like rest areas on the side of the highway.
    A-HA! That makes sense - wow, for whatever reason I TOTALLY FORGOT about them! And I wish I was joking about that statement!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Just so you know: Even with a start date in March you can get some cold weather.
    I was "with the pack" tween Erwin & Damascus last year, got near freezing temps a few nights, & even snow one night (less than 1/16 inch, but visible snow). After I got to town (Damascus) after the snow fall, the Flatland weather man said it got down to the 60s that night, so flatland weather reports / predictions are near useless in the mountains.
    On a happier note, one year as I passed thru the Smokies, the weather report (on someone elses radio) said "Severe T-storms all night, beware of flooding!!!" We all laughed cause above the clouds where we were, it was sunny. That was the first time I saw lightning from atop the cloud cover, , much cooler than below.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    just remember that any quickly designed and built warmth system that you make will probably not last more than one good trip and could fail the first time out. but I think its the adversity that you are looking for to work out those internal demons. with that in mind I wish I was in the position to go suffer that with you.
    From what I saw, people with issues to work out dropped out. If you can't handle something in your current life. Going on a hike is the worse thing to do. You have all the time in the world with only your thoughts.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    whichever works!
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    From what I saw, people with issues to work out dropped out. If you can't handle something in your current life. Going on a hike is the worse thing to do. You have all the time in the world with only your thoughts.
    Agreed!
    P.S. and as I mentioned earlier, I started this thread b/c of work timing and the military

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast