WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie

Superfly trekking pole panel pulllut mod

So I threw on a prussic with shock cord to each of the pullouts and attached it to my trekking poles and its working great. No need to carry any extra weight or poles since I already hike with trekking poles. I also attach a cord lock to each of the four corners of the tarp and add shock cord with a figure 8 knot so I can s biener each of the 4 doors without any stakes. This whole setup only requires 4 stakes instead of potentially 8. uploadfromtaptalk1431319486249.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431319544859.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431319596031.jpg
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Here is the way I attach the doors uploadfromtaptalk1431319786750.jpg
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Looks pretty good to me.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I like the simple pole mod that makes use of things I already carry. I'm going to try that one out with my hiking poles. Thank you!

On the subject of the door tie-outs, you can save a little weight by buying a handful of Tato door hooks (Tato or Dutch sell them). They are tiny. Having your door shock cord attached to your corner tie out seems like it limits your door options. If you tie shock cord with a cord lock (for adjustability) to the door D rings and put a Tato door hook on the end it is a little more versatile. You can secure your doors in a few different ways without needing stakes. For instance, in addition to securing them to the opposite corner (as in your photo) for door mode, you can also connect them outside to your far panel pull out prusik, or inside to the far adjacent door to stow your doors either outside or inside against the tarp when you don't need to use them.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly / Hamarak
    Insulation
    HG/WM
    Suspension
    Cinch/Dutch
    Images
    I prefer dedicated poles, such as the small 3 section ones. That leaves the hiking poles for porch mode.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    I prefer dedicated poles, such as the small 3 section ones. That leaves the hiking poles for porch mode.
    I have been thinking about how best to add the poles to my tarp and thought this method would work best for me. I don't want to have to carry the separate poles though.
    Would you ever use the side pullout and set the tarp in porch mode at the same time?
    it could give a little more room on the back side but porch mode already should open up the tarp quite a bit.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Don't really need the poles in porch mode for pullouts.. I rekon some would argue this....
    I like your thinking... Less to carry, is a great mindset.....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly/pole mod
    Insulation
    Burrow 0 / Yeti 0
    Suspension
    WoopieSling
    I carry the Dutch Poles, I use the treking poles for the porch. Great idea thought, it goes in to the toolbox. Thanks for the photos!
    I have slept in a hammock on every continent from -20 to +128, under direct and indirect fire, from frost to fungus except Antarticia.... But give me time... Thank you Uncle Sugar!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I've always been jealous of the pole mod concept, but not jealous enough to carry the significant extra weight that comes with dedicated poles.

Just tested out this particular hiking pole mod and it works great. The soft shackle prusiks and shock cord weighed just a few grams more than the guy lines they replaced for the panel pull outs, but once I factor in getting rid of two stakes this mod actually shaved half an ounce off of my overall tarp setup. The fact that it can be set up in a smaller footprint and I have less guy line tangles to deal with is awfully nice too. As long as I don't bend my hiking poles I'll be a happy camper.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    I've always been jealous of the pole mod concept, but not jealous enough to carry the significant extra weight that comes with dedicated poles.

Just tested out this particular hiking pole mod and it works great. The soft shackle prusiks and shock cord weighed just a few grams more than the guy lines they replaced for the panel pull outs, but once I factor in getting rid of two stakes this mod actually shaved half an ounce off of my overall tarp setup. The fact that it can be set up in a smaller footprint and I have less guy line tangles to deal with is awfully nice too. As long as I don't bend my hiking poles I'll be a happy camper.

Significant extra weight?

I guess it's subjective. My WL pole mod is about 4.5 oz. Does not seem significant to me. But, HYOH and all that.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast