Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    so IF i'm carrying 2 beaks and it's not windy but very cold..hmmmm...wondering how close the 2 beaks would fit a BB and what mods to make.....trying to picture it in my mind....so maybe one could carry 3 beeks and hope the direction of the wind doesn't change....my 7th night in the cage can't you tell!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    so IF i'm carrying 2 beaks and it's not windy but very cold..hmmmm...wondering how close the 2 beaks would fit a BB and what mods to make.....trying to picture it in my mind....so maybe one could carry 3 beeks and hope the direction of the wind doesn't change....my 7th night in the cage can't you tell!
    I'd try, but the only two beaks in existence* are in the tender mercies of USPS (insured!) on their way to Johnson City, TN

Both have a long straight edge, 101" in length. On that edge is Omnitape to seal up the doors, so it seems possible that you could join the two long edges.
    You have tabs at both ends and the corners, so I an imagine easily attaching to the hammock ends or hammock suspension cord, and hanging small bags with weights off the tabs at the lower corners.

The narrowest part, at the center, is 30.5", which gives a "doubled" width of 61"---that's about 10" more than the K.I.S.S. version.

short answer---size-wise this will cover.

The kicker is that the beaks are silnylon so the threat of condensation is very very real. Perhaps, just maybe, you could create a vent at the top by not adjoining the long edges with the Omnitape all the way but just at the ends, and essentially having the two pieces laying on the hammock, on each side, with a long air gap above.

Clever idea to try! We'll want pictures of course

Grizz

* EDIT---damngoat just reported having built one. There are 3!
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 11-04-2009 at 09:20.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Grizz ..... I am fixin' to make me one. The idea is to use it in winter camping with my new Speer winter Tarp. Hope to have blowing snow to use the KISS to keep the blusts of ..... should and could be fun!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I made a similar cover for my speer-type hammock when I was testing it in my backyard, but didn't want to setup a full tarp, and hadn't built a bugnet for it yet...

The whole cover is one 9 foot-ish long piece of 1.1 ripstop ($1.50/yd at WM). I sewed corner pockets for weights, too. BTW: I found nickles weigh about the same as quarters, but yes, they fly away if you flip the cover open. I eventually sewed the pockets closed.

Since I have an accessible ridgeline, I sewed in 4 - 1.5" pieces of velcro (so they would form a loop) across the length for easy attachment. I attach the velcro in a loose loop around the ridgeline. At the foot end, I secure the velcro around the ridgeline knot. This allows me to slide the cover down to the foot end, and move it completely out of the way or remove it completely in very little time.

I did find that corner weights aren't enough for more than the lightest breeze, and aren't necessary at the foot end. I added mid-span weights, which seems to help. Instead of velcro, I just tied a loose square knot at the foot end.

I got lazy, and only hemmed the head/foot ends (heat seamed the sides) since this was just a test, but it is holding up nicely. I sprayed my $1.50 WW nylon with some camp dry, since any moisture would move to the inside.

I am considering three modifications:
    1. Creating vents by cutting a circle/rectangle and sewing in netting. My thought is to cover the vent with a 3 sided flap sewn at the top/sides, and closed by velcro, and maybe using a bamboo skewer/stick when I want it open.

2. Sew a bugnet to the head end, but leave the solid fabric long enough that it can be fully closed. That way, you can have 3' of bugnet covering your head, or close it fully.

3. Magnets: You can get really cheap and extremely light chrome plated magnets. If I put them in the cover, I could attach some to my underquilt... maybe this is too complicated. I like your idea of velcro at the head end, or maybe a shock-cord along the bottom, like I've seen some bugnets.

Other ideas?

John

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123