Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie

Need something Grippy and Sticky

This isn't entirely related to hammocking, but I trust the minds here to help me out.

I've got an Alphasmart Neo, let's think of it as a small desktop keyboard, that I'd like to prop up against my legs while I'm in my hammock.

The problem is: The bottom of the device is slick and tends to slide down my legs. I need something to add to the back that will provide grip on cloth or bare skin. Some thin, rubbery material that is either applied to the bottom or added with double-sided tape would be good. I just can't think of anything that fits the bill. The "stuff" would have to be light and thin because I'm backpacking with it, and also available in-store as I'm leaving in a week (I live in Vegas, so there's a lot of stores around).

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL - Blue
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Will grip shelf liner work? I imagine a couple stripes attached diagonally with hot glue might work.
    People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents. ~Andrew Carnegie

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Single sided foam tape sounds like it might work. Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Office Max, etc. may carry it.

Basically any grippy thin foam that you can glue to the back would be ideal.

It doesn't look pretty, and smells like solvent for a day, but my first thought was liquid electrical tape.
    I've used it to make a reflectix sit pad that won't slip from under me - just paint a line or two on it and let it dry somewhere well ventilated

Quote Originally Posted by Envikin View Post
    Will grip shelf liner work? I imagine a couple stripes attached diagonally with hot glue might work.
    +1 This stuff is great. Attach with double sided tape, spray adhesive, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-N...ds=shelf+liner

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Single sided foam tape sounds like it might work. Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Office Max, etc. may carry it.

Basically any grippy thin foam that you can glue to the back would be ideal.
    Most of my experienced with this stuff is that it's pretty flimsy--both the foam and tape used. I don't think it'll hold up to being pushed and pulled from a backpack. Maybe I'll take a good look at the variety of foam tape at Home Depot later to see if there's something stronger, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by octagone View Post
    It doesn't look pretty, and smells like solvent for a day, but my first thought was liquid electrical tape.
    I've used it to make a reflectix sit pad that won't slip from under me - just paint a line or two on it and let it dry somewhere well ventilated
    Never had experience with this, though I was thinking of something like it called Plasti dip. Which both might turn out a bit too sticky. I'll keep this in mind, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Envikin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Russtang View Post
    +1 This stuff is great. Attach with double sided tape, spray adhesive, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-N...ds=shelf+liner
    I kept myself from bringing this stuff up, but I currently use this for my desktop keyboard (for the same purpose) and it was going to be my default. The only problem I have with this stuff is the exposed double-sided table in the holes and the liner material can be a bit flimsy. I'll have to search around to find some more rugged stuff. Thanks you both!

Still open for ideas! I'll try to experiment a bit with a few different things before I set myself on one.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL - Blue
    Tarp
    PahaQue Wilderness
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How about a strip from a yoga mat? No holes like the shelf liner and I think the mats are durable.

Or cut up an old bike tire inner tube. That's thinner than the other ideas, durable and grippy. When I was a kid, I made my own pair of juggling/devil sticks using a bike tire inner tube.
    People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents. ~Andrew Carnegie

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Osulagh View Post
    ...Never had experience with this, though I was thinking of something like it called Plasti dip. Which both might turn out a bit too sticky. I'll keep this in mind, thanks! ...
    Plasti Dip and liquid electrical tape are more like the coatings on some tools handles. I wouldn't think of them as being "too sticky". Pealing off of a flat surface may be a bigger problem.

Seam grip. Commonly used on sleeping pads to keep from sliding off.

Sugru is great for that sort of thing and now available in most if not all target and some lowes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast