Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

so that's what my problem is...

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post

I have to lay in mine at least every day or two. It is required. Just have to. Two weeks and I would be having withdrawals bad. The shaking would start and then the hallucinations would set in and from there its all down hill.
    I haven't laid in mine since 4th of July weekend over in the State Park. All my gear was sitting in our spare bedroom waiting for a fall hike. I finally put it away when my hopes for a fall hike went out the air. I'll be sitting here till the doctor says my husband can travel again. Who knows when that will be... the shaking and hallucinations are on their way

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Raise your hand if you are a real gear junkie.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I haven't laid in mine since 4th of July weekend over in the State Park. All my gear was sitting in our spare bedroom waiting for a fall hike. I finally put it away when my hopes for a fall hike went out the air. I'll be sitting here till the doctor says my husband can travel again. Who knows when that will be... the shaking and hallucinations are on their way
    Sorry to hear bout your non-hope for the outdoors. Hope your Husband is getting a good report from the doctor...

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I have WB and HF to thank for turnning me into a real gear junkie....Hi my name is lazy river road and I am a gear junkie
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images

Question

Reading what's been said about the Hennessy in this thread almost had me wondering if I had the same Hennessy Hammock everybody was talking about. I guess, in the strictest sense, I don't because I didn't see any mention of the Hyperlight, which is what I've been hanging in all season, but I also have a Scout which is made of much less stretchy fabric more similar to the Explorer which I did see mentioned and that experience isn't too different

Clausterphobic? Check out the view out of my hammock at sunrise at Cranberry lake in August. The tarp was on and I still had a great panorama. It's in the photo gallery under Hammock Landscapes "Sunrise at Cranberry Lake".

Can't sit in it? Maybe I just dreamed about sitting in it. It was so real, I ditched my camp chair and have dreamt I've been using my hammock for a camp chair ever since.

Now I've been to the Warbonnet web site and it looks like a great piece of gear, but the nice features come at the price of extra weight. I wanted to compare the BB with the Hyperlight, but weights appear to have been deleted from the Warbonnet site. I checked out MRPREZ's hammock comparison spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...HrtlPjHA&hl=en The closest match to the Hyperlight appears to be the BB 1.1 DL which is heavier than the Hyperlight. It weighs 24 oz. with no tarp VS the Hennessy 26 oz including an 8.25 oz tarp! I say to anyone for whom the extra weight isn't a factor, and I'm sure that's many, Go nuts!

As for me, weight is very, very important. I've slept in my Hyperlight in driving rain, in 21 degree cold, and sweltering heat. It's always sheltered me from the elements and the bugs. I keep my book and a few sundries in the hanging pockets and I hang my shoes from the ridge line and kick them to the end of the hammock. I see no need to look for better.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 10-18-2009 at 13:56. Reason: added referrence to comparison spreadsheet

Images
    actually, the hyperlight is a 30d single layer hammock, so the closest comparison would be the single layer 1.1 blackbird, and the weights are close. my webguy must have removed the weights when doing some work and forgot to put them back up, i'll look into that.

the single 1.1 with line/strap suspension is about 20.0oz. that's only about 2-2.5 oz heavier than the hyperlight hammock and the weight comes from full length side zip, storage shelf, footbox and longer tree straps.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-18-2009 at 15:58.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    I compared my Hyperlight with the BB double layer because the single layer isn't rated for 200 lb. The double layer would hold more than 200lb, so perhaps the fairest comparison would be a weighted average of the single and double layered weights.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I compared my Hyperlight with the BB double layer because the single layer isn't rated for 200 lb. The double layer would hold more than 200lb, so perhaps the fairest comparison would be a weighted average of the single and double layered weights.
    Ummm, maybe.
    I'm about 230 and have slept in a single 1.1 and a hyperlight. Both stretch equally while still supporting my weight. I think the weight rating just depends on who is assigning it.

HH Hyperlight vs WB 1.1 single would be the closest comparison. I'm confident in saying that having slept in every model both companies have to offer.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I think the important thing is that you are happy with your ultralight HH. And some of it is just a matter of pros and cons, which appeal to folks differently. Though I might prefer one or another hammock now, at least in some ways, I was really happy with my UL Explorer and Super Shelter when it was all I had. I took my first 2 western week long trips with that set up, and I was never any where near that comfortable on the ground. And a lot of it was just becoming proficient with that tool. I got to where I was way fast getting in and out of that thing, especially getting out. And fast at set up and take down with the snake skins.

In fact, I started to use that set up this weekend at Neo's fall get together in TN. Partly for nostalgia because that is what I used the last time I was there a couple of years ago. But I wanted to test my WB Climashield "Yeti" with 2 layers of CS at 39-40*. So, I put it on my WBBB 1.7 dbl layer, with an "Ultrlaight" thermarest as a leg pad. What can I say? Even though the RL was a bit "too tight", and I didn't bother to loosen the hang, it was one cozy, sweet nights sleep. I didn't even need anything under my knees with that leg pad there to cushion my left calf, and the shelf once again came in SOOOO handy. Hard not to love this one.

But for those that like it, or even "need" it, the bottom entry sometimes has it's advantages ( like getting in with a storm pitch when the underside of your tarp is soaked with condensation). Plus, sometimes I kind of like the SS, which also has it's own unique advantages. And my Speer can be plenty comfortable in it's own right and only weighs 17 oz. So, whatever floats your boat. My Speer is hanging right now for some pics I took with the Pea Pod for Gaidal. Nothing wrong with that set up, especially compared to the ground!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Raise your hand if you are a real gear junkie.
    Funny, I just looked up gear Junkie in the dictionary and found this...

Sorry Canibal, couldn't resist!
    Last edited by stormcrow; 10-18-2009 at 23:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast