Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the warmest of the cheap?

I'm new to hammocking and a little worried about freezing on the JMT if I decide to take my hammock instead of tent. I'm a wimp in the cold and it can get down to below freezing in the sierras. I currently have a 20 degree down kelty bag and eno profly rain tarp that I'm definitely taking. Then, I already have both a 1" thermarest trail scout or one of those blue foam pads that I could also take, they weigh the same so which would be warmer? I was also looking at the thermarest prolite which is also 1" but only weighs half as much, or the thermarest neoair, which is 2" (which would be comfier in case of ground sleeping) and I thought would be warmer since it's twice as thick, but the R-value is actually lower? Then I also saw this thing, no idea they're any good? http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...le_bubble_pad/

Also, will I even be warm enough with just a pad and sleeping bag in a storm or do I need something to keep the warm air in better? Like one of those socks or top covers that goes around the hammock to lock in the warm air and seal out wind? Or would a bivvy bag or sleeping bag liner help? Or an emergency blanket? Also, is it warmer to sleep with the pad inside or outside your sleeping bag? Mine would fit either way. Tons of questions sorry, thanks guys

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I did the Walmart blue ccf pad for a couple of years before moving on to underquilts. I had severe condensation problems with pads, which is to be expected due to the convective air currents one experiences being suspended up in the air. Those convective air currents also make the R-ratings of your pads relatively meaningless, since they're based on sleeping on the ground, not in the air. My last night with a pad was 22* F and I woke up bathing in condensation and sweat. I ordered a 20* HG 3/4 Phoenix the next day.

Socks, top covers, bivy bags and emergency blankets can all produce condensation issues. If you can place your pad inside the sleeping bag, you'll have less chance of condensation since the air temperature on both sides of the pad should be roughly the same. If the pad is outside the sleeping bag, then you'll have a greater temperature difference between the top of the pad (where you're sleeping) and the bottom (exposed to cold air), resulting in greater condensation.

What kind of hammock do you have? Have you done any backyard testing or are you testing this setup for the first time out in the field? I know I did a ton of backyard testing before ever taking on cold temperatures.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I did the Walmart blue ccf pad for a couple of years before moving on to underquilts. I had severe condensation problems with pads, which is to be expected due to the convective air currents one experiences being suspended up in the air. Those convective air currents also make the R-ratings of your pads relatively meaningless, since they're based on sleeping on the ground, not in the air. My last night with a pad was 22* F and I woke up bathing in condensation and sweat. I ordered a 20* HG 3/4 Phoenix the next day.

Socks, top covers, bivy bags and emergency blankets can all produce condensation issues. If you can place your pad inside the sleeping bag, you'll have less chance of condensation since the air temperature on both sides of the pad should be roughly the same. If the pad is outside the sleeping bag, then you'll have a greater temperature difference between the top of the pad (where you're sleeping) and the bottom (exposed to cold air), resulting in greater condensation.

What kind of hammock do you have? Have you done any backyard testing or are you testing this setup for the first time out in the field? I know I did a ton of backyard testing before ever taking on cold temperatures.
    Interesting, I hadn't even really heard about or considered the condensation issue. eek. I currently have an eno hammock but I'm probably going to get a dutch to save on weight. I've slept on my eno hammock a bunch but only in the summer or in pretty wimpy "cold" conditions (it doesn't really get cold where I live). I've only tried it once in colder temps in Big Sur (my first time hammocking) but I was in a cheap lousy sleeping bag and without ANY pad , and I froze my butt off! So I'm just trying to figure out what I would need to not repeat that miserably cold experience. I really want to stick to my kelty bag if possible since I already have it, I can't afford a down quilt, and I want to have a ground option in case we're above treeline more than expected.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'd probably not take the Pro Fly unless forced to for some reason. Heavy, Only adequate cover IMO.

Something lighter with at least one set of doors.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I'd probably not take the Pro Fly unless forced to for some reason. Heavy, Only adequate cover IMO.

Something lighter with at least one set of doors.
    Is there a better alternative that's not expensive? I'm thinking about replacing the eno hammock, straps and bugnet with cheaper and lighter alternatives but the tarps looked like they would cost a bundle to buy a new one.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB/WBSF
    Insulation
    LYNX/WOOKIE
    Suspension
    Dutch strap/buckle
    Does having your pad between the layers on a DL hammock make any difference in condensation issues?

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Arrowhead Jarbrdge & foot pad.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*/30*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just picked up a Ridgerest SOLlite in small $19.99 at REI. A lot f people seem to like them and after getting hand son in the store feel it's enough to keep my core insulated in a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by southernfire97 View Post
    Does having your pad between the layers on a DL hammock make any difference in condensation issues?
    I would like to know the answer to this as well

Hammock
    Dutchware DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by southernfire97 View Post
    Also anticipating some input on this. Lol it could probably make a new thread in its own

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast