Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Jumped into the puddle today

I just placed an order for two Hennessy hammocks today for my daughter (6) and me. She slept quite well in a borrowed hammock last night in our basement and I got so excited by the idea of hammock camping with her instead of tent camping that I called up at the first opportunity, held my nose, and handed over the credit card number.

She gets a scout with oversized fly. I get a hyperlite without stock fly. We'll use the hex fly for a bit until I can scrape together the funds to get a better, lighter, MacCat.

Excellent. Now I have to work on keeping us insulated.

Thanks to all of you for your help, even if you haven't realized that you've given it. I've scoured the archives for information and it has been a tremendous resource.

My wallet is going to hurt for days but my back is going to be much happier.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to camping with my daughters in the coming (warmer) months too. Keep us posted on your trips!

Is she a good cook?

J/K lol have fun with it, when my daughter gets older I plan to teach her how to kill a man with her bare hands and live off the land too

Start'em young and teach'em right!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Good times ahead for both of you! She'll truly cherish those times. And you will too!

My oldest carries a small river rock with her DAILY that I found on one trip It means more to her than I'll ever understand, so much that she cried when she thought it was lost once.

I have three daughters, and my 10yr-old has been backpacking w/me twice. Now that I have a second hammock, I'll see how she likes hangin' vs a tent!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    congratulations! you and your daughter will have sharing experince... treasure the time she spends with you!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been hauling her though the local nature reserve since she was old enough to hold up her head in a back carrier, and she is now an experienced veteran of camping. We've been going on sleep over trips since she was four. It is really low commitment camping though. Believe me. I grab her on the way home after work, we eat fast food on the drive up, we set up camp, we eat marshmallows, go to sleep, wake up, pack up, and go home.

Usually we go with a friend of mine and his son. The two kids spend their time fighting with each other and smacking trees with sticks.

On the last trip just two weeks ago, we took a night walk with a moon so bright it cast shadows. We sat on a dock watching fish disturb the glass smooth surface of the lake. Awesome. If I could only get my wife to join in it would be perfect, but her idea of roughing it is a lack of fresh towels.

What is really funny is that I did not grow up doing this at all. I only really started camping a few years after she was born.

What a great obsession . . . err . . . hobby.
    Last edited by FreeTheWeasel; 05-08-2007 at 16:16. Reason: Misplaced modifier

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I've been hauling her though the local nature reserve since she was old enough to hold up her head in a back carrier, and she is now an experienced veteran of camping. We've been going on sleep over trips since she was four. It is really low commitment camping though. Believe me. I grab her on the way home after work, we eat fast food on the drive up, we set up camp, we eat marshmallows, go to sleep, wake up, pack up, and go home.

Usually we go with a friend of mine and his son. The two kids spend their time fighting with each other and smacking trees with sticks.

On the last trip just two weeks ago, we took a night walk with a moon so bright it cast shadows. We sat on a dock watching fish disturb the glass smooth surface of the lake. Awesome. If I could only get my wife to join in it would be perfect, but her idea of roughing it is a lack of fresh towels.

What is really funny is that I did not grow up doing this at all. I only really started camping a few years after she was born.

What a great obsession . . . err . . . hobby.

Hammock camping is "Smoothing It". Not "Roughing It".
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Free, you are not alone! I just called Hennessy yesterday and ordered mine! Hope to have it by the end of the week!!

Congrats and hope to compare notes as we go thru the learning curve to hanging!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang....The family that hangs together stays together...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    alhikergal, welcome to the dark side!!! i knew you would see the light!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast