Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying my first hammock

I am wanting to get hammocks for me and my wife. I have been looking at ENO lately and have been reading as much as I can. The reason I am leaning towards ENO is because it seems like a good entry level hammock especially for the price. They are on sale at REI right now too. My wife wants the Junglenest because of the integrated bug net. I am leaning more towards the Doublenest. Does this seem like a sound decision?

We will probably only use these a couple times a year. We are mostly wanting them for our Havasupai trip but I can already see how a lot of people prefer hammocks over tents.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    The ENO double nest was my first hammock and I still have it, but have not used it in awhile. Good stuff.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Like Tacoma96 said, the ENO's are a decent hammock ( I have and still use a ENO DN on day hikes ). You will find your self looking to upgrade to a better hammock before too long. Look at the Netty from Hammeck or a Black Bird o XLC from Warbonnet ( Warbonnet is not taking any orders right now as they are backed up trying to get orders out and as soon as they reduce the backlog they will start accepting orders again.

I like a netted hammock because it keeps my gear inside the hammock and the bugs out.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch 11' nylon
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cynch Buckle
    Have a DblNest myself. With the REI sale it's a cheap way to get started with a hammock. What Gunner said is true, you will be upgrading sooner or later.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    I started with ENO as well. I actually have the SN, DN and the Jungle Nest. I realized quickly that they were too short for me. I am now using the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Dutch Netless and some DIY hammocks. The wife loved the DN until she got the Warbonnet Blackbird. ENO is a good brand to start out with for the price.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    With annual sale big discount, buying ENO is a good entry choice, you might want to choose One link system , which include every thing you need o hang (you can get by without under quilt in the summer ). DN it's my 2nd one and I still using it.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I started out with a Dream Hammock FreeBird. Such a great hammock for the money including stuff sack and suspension system! I am 5'11 and an ENO hammock is to short for me.

With that being said the deal going on at REI for 30% off ENO hammocks was to good to pass up! I just grabbed a SingleNest for family use, lounging, and my 3 year old. I found that I really enjoy it for lounging around the yard or packing in the car and taking it to the local parks. I first grabbed the DoubleNest but returned it because I found it way to wide for my liking. I had a lot of extra fabric flapping in my face. The SingleNest is great to throw in a tree and read a book.
    MY BLOG
    www.thesilentpursuit.com

I have a DN as well. I really like my hammock. At 6'6" tall with a SRL its wide enough I can get a good lay. But as everyone else has said you will soon want to upgrade. I'm not sure it's so much to do with needing to upgrade as it is wanting to. I now use a couple homemade hammocks. One is a 12' and the other a 11'. I'm subject to carry any of the three on any given trip.

I just picked up two junglenest and a DN from the REI sale. I will test them out and see which one I like.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Eno or grand trunk are good hammocks. I purchased 2 and gave them as gifts. I think it really does depend on what you think you will do with it. I knew when I purchased my first hammock, I wanted to use it for more than backyard lounging. I wanted a quality hammock to use for backpacking, but I wasn't sure I would like it. I choose a Dutch hammock 11' (http://www.dutchwaregear.com/). He has several suspension options you can choose from...to find the one that is best for you. Lets say you aren't sure, you could always call him...and talk with him about it. If you are considering a hammock without bugnet, I would go this way for sure. Its a great way to learn. What material should you choose...that will be your next question? You can pick any of them. they are all quality products.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast