Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5

Hammock camping in NC

What are the best places to hammock camp in NC that are nice and secluded and don't cost anything?

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Linville gorge, but the hiking is no joke. Which part of the state are you targeting?
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Find your nearest national forest - Pisgah, Uwharrie, etc.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    yep national forest is the way to go. I went to a $ campground this weekend with my family and so missed the seclusion of Uwharrie even at a group hang it is more secluded!
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Find your nearest national forest - Pisgah, Uwharrie, etc.
    Pisgah, is nice. In some areas you are allowed to just camp in the forest off of the forest service roads.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    From Charlotte you have easy access to the Uwharries to your east and the bigger mountains to your west.
    I tend to go to the Uwharries mostly because they are 3 hours away vs 6 hours+ to the Blue Ridge.

The Uwharrie Trail from hwy 24/27 TH to the Jumping Off Rock trail head ~20 miles to the north is very busy Friday through Sunday. You can still find good places to camp a little down stream from many of the crossings though. Being retired I tend to go mid-week. Rarely see anyone.

The northern stretch starting just the other side if the bridge from Jumping Off Rock parking area is more interesting and has much less traffic. I stopped at this TH for a few minutes last Saturday on my way home. A truck load of young folks pulled in. They mentioned coming often. I asked if they were headed north or south. They replied "south! Didn't know the trail went north!" This section has been open again for a year or so. The USFS bulletin board at that TH still doesn't mention the trail going north! It goes several miles north from there. Fewer hikers and fewer ready made campsites. As always along the UT, the streams are often down to a trickle if it hasn't rained recently. Copperheads and rattlesnakes are in the area although I have never seen one.

You might want to PM Firebird for info. He knows a lot about the Uwharries. TallPaul has hiked all over the area including the State Parks. Both guys have hiking videos on YouTube.

Pappy
    Last edited by PappyAmos; 05-18-2015 at 08:58. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Neusiok Trail down here on the coast in the Croatan.....www.neusioktrail.org
    Last edited by gunner76; 05-18-2015 at 18:57.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Linville gorge, but the hiking is no joke. Which part of the state are you targeting?
    I'm completely fine with a lot of hiking, actually prefer it. The further away from daily life, the better. As far as what part of the state, either mountains or piedmont area.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    From Charlotte you have easy access to the Uwharries to your east and the bigger mountains to your west.
    I tend to go to the Uwharries mostly because they are 3 hours away vs 6 hours+ to the Blue Ridge.

The Uwharrie Trail from hwy 24/27 TH to the Jumping Off Rock trail head ~20 miles to the north is very busy Friday through Sunday. You can still find good places to camp a little down stream from many of the crossings though. Being retired I tend to go mid-week. Rarely see anyone.

The northern stretch starting just the other side if the bridge from Jumping Off Rock parking area is more interesting and has much less traffic. I stopped at this TH for a few minutes last Saturday on my way home. A truck load of young folks pulled in. They mentioned coming often. I asked if they were headed north or south. They replied "south! Didn't know the trail went north!" This section has been open again for a year or so. The USFS bulletin board at that TH still doesn't mention the trail going north! It goes several miles north from there. Fewer hikers and fewer ready made campsites. As always along the UT, the streams are often down to a trickle if it hasn't rained recently. Copperheads and rattlesnakes are in the area although I have never seen one.

You might want to PM Firebird for info. He knows a lot about the Uwharries. TallPaul has hiked all over the area including the State Parks. Both guys have hiking videos on YouTube.

Pappy
    Sounds like what I'm looking for. I prefer minimalistic camping. Really not so into the pre-made campsite type approach. And I'm looking to get away from a lot of other people on this trip. It just seems so hard to find somewhere to go camp that isn't in close proximity to someone's house, or a road, or a town. Was starting to wonder if wilderness even existed anymore.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    So, to those who have experienced them all, which of the 4 national forests do you prefer? I'm leaning towards Pisgah, but was curious as to what you guys opinions were and why.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast