Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Bliss
    Insulation
    MacPac Neve TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Climashield UQ Suspension - which one and why?

I've just finished my 3/4 Climashield UQ but I'm now not sure which way to go with the suspension.

I know there are variations to the theme but the two main ways are,
    1. shock cord running through the long channels connecting up to the hammock ends, lifted by quilt hooks at the ridgeline, and
    2. loops sewn at the corners of the UQ, and shock cord connecting the loops directly to the ridgeline.

I've done a bunch of reading and I still can't figure out which is the way to go. As I understand it, the advantage of the shock cord running the length of the UQ, allows it be slid backwards and forwards, but I'm not sure that can't achieved with option 2 utilising prussic knots at the ridgeline.

If it helps, this UQ will be partnered with a 10.5' PolyD hammock that I'll have finished later tonight.

Any thoughts, advice, pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I've only ever used option 1. It allows you to slide or position the quilt while you're in the hammock.
    I think Hammock Gear uses both options together on their quilts. Hopefully other will chime in about the use/benefit of option 2.
    Bill

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I doubt #2 will work.
    Regarding option #1 shock cord it’s not only for sliding but it will also pull the UQ up against the hammock. It has to seal against the hammock all the way around otherwise you will get a cold back.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I doubt #2 will work.
    Regarding option #1 shock cord it’s not only for sliding but it will also pull the UQ up against the hammock. It has to seal against the hammock all the way around otherwise you will get a cold back.
    I'm pretty sure AHE's Jarbidge is suspended in the #2 fashion described here. I have one and it works just fine. It does utilize a shock cord and cord locks, but it works. I can't speak to comparing #1 and #2 though because I haven't tried #1. Looking forward to others' opinions.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If it’s a sewn shape it may work but otherwise I can’t see how it can seal along the long edges without shock cord? If it’s a flat rectangle the middle edges will fall down and open an air gap.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Bliss
    Insulation
    MacPac Neve TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by daverr View Post
    I'm pretty sure AHE's Jarbidge is suspended in the #2 fashion described here. I have one and it works just fine. It does utilize a shock cord and cord locks, but it works. I can't speak to comparing #1 and #2 though because I haven't tried #1. Looking forward to others' opinions.
    I would love to see a close up photo of the suspension system that the Jarbridge employs.

I hear what you're saying about the seal Snowball. Couldn't that be overcome by running a piece of shockcord the length of the UQ and permanently attaching it to each corner or through cord locks?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    #2 works great for partial and full length quilts. I went from making them with side channels to end loops/line loc 3's a while ago. Works fantastic.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    I just made one and went with option #2. I studied AHE quilts and since Paul seems to be the authority on synthetic quilts and he uses this method on his, it should work well.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneywizard View Post
    I would love to see a close up photo of the suspension system that the Jarbridge employs.
    The Jarbidge uses option #2, cord threaded into channels along the short edges, loops on the corners to suspend the quilt and no shock cord on the long edges. Btw, it works great...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    For the first two UQs I made (one from a polyester comforter and the second from a fleece blanket with a sewn on nylon shell), I started with the shock cord through side channels. I just could not get them to fit up to the hammock tight enough -- they would sag, leaving an air gap underneath. So, I tried just connecting shock cord to the corners, not knowing that other had already done the same sort of thing. Once I had the UQ adjusted for my lay, I didn't need to slide it anywhere. It stayed where I wanted it better and didn't sag toward the middle. The shock cord to the corners kept it pulled tight on the edges making a good seal on the sides. I could also pull it tighter on one corner or another to fit my lay better. It worked, and I was happy. I also helped a brother-in-law put together a poncho liner underquilt, and we attached shock cord to the corners for suspension with it too. It worked better than channels (which I also tried first with the PL -- sagged in the middle). All of these UQs were 3/4 length.

So, yesterday I just make four Climashield 3.6 underquilts (60" x 44"), and I put loops with line loc 3s on each corner. Based upon past experience I have no doubts that these will work great for the four of us who are going to use them. I saw no reason to go with channels on the sides.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast