Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hammock Discomfort

I really want to embrace the hammock goodness, but I'm struggling with discomfort. It's getting very frustrating. I need help, I almost slept in the car Saturday night!

To cover the fundamentals: I'm 5'11", 170. My hammock is 128", made of 1.6 HyperD. Adjustable ridgeline is set right around 83%. My underquilt is 3/4 length DIY 5.0 Climashield Apex and I use a cut down blue foam pad for my feet. I sleep head right, feet left. I am a side sleeper in bed.

1. I have significant discomfort (PAIN) around my left should blade after laying in my hammock for a significant amount of time.
    2. My hammock has a significant "calf" ridge that results in cool air straight to my butt and pressure on the back of my right knee. I have ridgeline quilt hooks from Dutch - they snug up the UQ but do nothing to fix the gap.
    3. My left knee feels consistently hyper-extended from a lack of support under it.
    4. My heels are very uncomfortable with the blue foam insulation.

I was drawn towards the hammock for the comfort factor, and I'm not finding it. I'd rather not give up, but I feel like all of this is reaching a boiling point. Can you help me HammockForums?

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Others will tell you to try a longer hammock - i will start off by saying theres plenty you can try before you spend $$$'s

I suggest you first off (if possible) remove the ridgeline.
    then using the hammock calculator and a measuring tape go and do a measured hang.
    really be anal about getting the right lengths and angles.

Firstly test without UQ - spend 3 mins in each position and try and be methodical - but lie offset and begin to shift your arse from left to right a few inches at a time (for example i found my comfort spot by initially putting my arse to the right of my ridgeline not below or left which would have made more sense [head left feet right sleeper]) then if ifts bad start a new row of left to rights a few inches further down the hammock. ETC ETC
    - its worth trying as many varients as possible , you will likely have already ruled out quite a few already from your previous hangs,. dont foget that theres a large difference betweena 1 oclock position and a 3 o clock position offset from the centerline.

Secondly - then add your UQ - and i would hazard a guess thats when you will get the calf ridge jump back in - likely caused by the ends of your UQ being cinched too tight
    so really slack them off - and try your most comfy position out again - it may shift due to the UQ's effects on the fabric.

thirdly - If this all still doesnt work then have a look at wider hammocks and 11fters/

best of luck

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    What was offered above is good advise. I would also suggest that once you remove your adjustable Ridgeline that you put ALOT of sag in the set up. One other suggestion is if you wanna try it before you remove ur Ridgeline is to make sure your foot end is about a foot higher then head end, while maintaining a approximately 30 degree hang. Also pics of your set up helps us to offer more ideas. I agree with the under quilt being too tight, and one problem I found especially with 3/4 uq's is the foot end has too be alot more loose as ur legs push it out..and I almost always use something under my legs in a regular gathered end hammock...let us know. Oh and do u support your neck while in the hammock? Believe it or not that might help with shoulder pain.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

I do support my head, modestly. Typically with a fleece or jacket.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Grundalo,

Shoota and Mountainhanger gave you some really sound advice. Alot of wisdom in those words...

Now for some advice that is not quite as popular. I have found the right air pad eliminates calf ridge, supports my shoulders, and keeps my back side warm down into the 30's. I've tried 2 different Big Agnes ones and a Klymit Insulated V. I've settled on the Klymit. Why? It's 23in wide, 72in long. The design allows for more inflation with a lot of flexibility still in the pad. That ability adds to the insulation propertires and in my opinion helps with the overall comfort.

As a final reason, when backpacking, I use unique lightweight chairs that also incorporate the same pad.

Perhaps one day I will switch to an UQ. But as long as I hike/camp in warmer weather and the Klymit pad keeps me comfy, that's what I'm using.

Tex
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 05-18-2015 at 16:37.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I slept better in my gathered end hammock than the tent, but still didn't experience the bliss so many others here express until I switched to a bridge hammock with an inflatable air pad...
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I always need a jacket or fleece under my hyperextended leg for support. The calf ridge i also had just like you was eliminated by adjusting the hammock and shifting my butt. The cold was relieved by tying cord to the sides of my under quilt and over my ridgeline. That pulled it closer and kept it there all night. Try looking up "Triangle Thingies" by Arrowhead Equipment. They help too.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    My Own Make
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    My Own Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    The purpose of the ridge line is to maintain a constant hang angle regardless of the distance between anchors. You need to figure out what ridge line length is right for you and your hammock. Your ridge line has to have some tension. If it doesn't it's not doing anything. Your ridge line doesn't have to be horizontal. Feet higher, fine. Head higher, OK too. Find out what works for you. Are you lying obliquely? Most people are more comfortable when they lie off axis to the hammock. I would work on the comfort first and warmth later.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I actually like my ridgeline to be a bit saggy, straightening once I get in (not what I was taught here, just what I figured out), so that means a bit more sag. And the 6"-8" raise in the foot end really does make a difference.

Too, you just might need to adjust you. Get your butt shifted a little over toward the calf ridgeline. Try less of a diagonal - I found when I first started out I thought I had to really angle out, like I do in my Mayan, however, this put pressure on my shoulder and heels. Once I found the right angle, I was like, "Oh! Wow!"

Another trick is kicking or spreading out the ridges once in, like your smoothing it out.

Can't speak for the quilt, but others have got you on that one.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    As others have said, try shifting your whole body so that your knees are actually to the foot side of the ridgeline (for you, to the left of the RL). I am head left/feet right, but try to get to this angle, just reversed.
    Or, same thing, but with a pillow under your knees...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast