Hammock
    Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Burrow 40 or 50 in Summer in New England?

So I'm looking into getting a Hammock Gear quilt for the summer. I have a 20 degree for the early spring and late fall weather. I'm looking into a 50 degree for summer to save on weight and a bit of money. I mostly hike in upstate New York, NH and VT all summer. Any suggestions on which temp rate I should go with? 50 or 40 degree? Has anyone had any experience with a 50 degree quilt in New England/upstate New York in the summer? I'm wondering if it might not be warm enough, or just right for those June, July, August nights in the mountains.

thanks!!

Anthony
    Last edited by AnthonyL; 05-19-2015 at 11:16.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the weather there, but I just got back from a 3-night trip in northern MI. I had my 40° +1oz and it was too darn warm to sleep the last night. It was 56° when I went to bed with a forcast low of 52°. I had to sleep without any cover and just boxers/t-shirt for a couple hours then add the quilt later after I got cool.

Their ratings are spot on for me. I would look back at the typical lows and go from there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I did an end to end of the long trail in August and a 50 Burrow was plenty warm for me the entire trip. What I like to do is use the lightest UQ I am comfortable with and if need be layer long sleeves while sleeping if I need the insulation. I'm already carrying long sleeve l silk weight bottoms and tops might as well multi purpose them at night so I can carry a lighter UQ. As for the earlier summer months in NE, can't really speak to them as I haven't camped in NE during those months. Also if your considering getting a 50 Burrow, may I suggest a sewn foot box with a draw string closure. IMHO it's the best of both worlds.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It may go without saying, but make sure you get the snaps and not sewn box. That way you can open, flatten and vent the quilt. Also, you may wish to look at shoulder width, again for tucking around shoulders and increasing warmth of quilt vs. venting. I would also research Underground Quilts and the difference between their 50º Flight Jacket vs. the Burrow (I own one of each and feel I made great choices for different perks or needs). Sorry I can't help more on 40º vs 50º for New England. I chose 50º to save money and get a bigger spread between the two quilts. I agree with Lazy river and would plan to buffer the higher degree quilt with clothing.

Hammock
    Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    research Underground Quilts and the difference between their 50º Flight Jacket vs. the Burrow (I own one of each and feel I made great choices for different perks or needs). Sorry I can't help more on 40º vs 50º for New England. I chose 50º to save money and get a bigger spread between the two quilts. I agree with Lazy river and would plan to buffer the higher degree quilt with clothing.
    Thanks everyone! Yeah I will definitely add layers of need be. I guess it will just depend on the weather right? Anyway, gbolt, did you notice a big difference between the two quilts? Does the material feel different on the Underground quilt?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would go with the 40º. I've had too many nights where it drops down to the 40's when it was 85-90+ out all day long. I mostly camp in PA/NJ but that's close enough to your area to know what the weather is like.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am in the same boat as you are. I do not know if I want a 40° or a 50°. I think I am leaning to a 40° bag because it could be a tad more versatile than the 50°. I could always take it off if I get to hot, or add a down jacket to it to keep me warmer later into the year where a 50° would be just too cold.
    MY BLOG
    www.thesilentpursuit.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe Ci
    Did you vent your bottom quilt?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    The real question is how important is weight. Pack weight to me is vital. That's why I own a 0,20,40 and 50 Burrow and UQ's to match. A 50 UQ with a 40 Phoenix easily keeps me warm down to 40. Below 40 I start to layer cloths. The OP already owns a 20 so IMHO an 20 and a 50 cover a wider range of temps/vs weight savings then a 20 and a 40. Their are so many variables to this it's an impossible question to answer and very easy one to annalyze. I mean if SHTF and temps did drop just use a hot water bottle in ur TQ and that adds a bit more warmth. I don't know how long you (the op) have been hammocking/backpacking but when I first started I always brought tarps that were to big and quilts that were to warm. As the years rolled by I learned what worked and did not work for me and most importantly what I felt comfortable with. So another consideration is what are u comfortable with because IMHO that's the one you should get.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ mostly
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    The real question is how important is weight. Pack weight to me is vital. That's why I own a 0,20,40 and 50 Burrow and UQ's to match. A 50 UQ with a 40 Phoenix easily keeps me warm down to 40. Below 40 I start to layer cloths. The OP already owns a 20 so IMHO an 20 and a 50 cover a wider range of temps/vs weight savings then a 20 and a 40. Their are so many variables to this it's an impossible question to answer and very easy one to annalyze. I mean if SHTF and temps did drop just use a hot water bottle in ur TQ and that adds a bit more warmth. I don't know how long you (the op) have been hammocking/backpacking but when I first started I always brought tarps that were to big and quilts that were to warm. As the years rolled by I learned what worked and did not work for me and most importantly what I felt comfortable with. So another consideration is what are u comfortable with because IMHO that's the one you should get.
    I'm thinking about a Burrow50 also for packability what's the weight/storage size on one of these? I figure my yeti and a 50 would be great for summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast