Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been using harbor freight 1 inch webbing for a while with no issues.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    I've been using harbor freight 1 inch webbing for a while with no issues.
    I used the same set of yellow Harbor Freight straps for over two years with no problems. Take care of your gear, hook it up properly, and clean and inspect it regularly. Now I'm using webbing from Dutch, but I wouldn't hesitate to ust the HF straps again.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    I have some straps I made out of old ratchet straps made by rigid. They're poly and they were rated to 1440lbs.

Contrary to what was said above 3x working load is NOT adequate for lifting. 10x is considered minimal for rope and 5x for metal like wire rope. This means that the above mentioned 330 working load is meantioned above needs to actually be a 3300 breaking point. This is because static load is significantly less then shock load.

For your needs I'd recommend at least a 1500lb breaking point. This accounts for the marginal shack load that hammocks experience. They don't need to handle a shock of something falling 10' before reaching the end of the rope.
    Things are sold with a built in saftey factor in their displayed working load (WL). AFAIK this is only based on their intended application. 3x is used for lifting of objects. 5x is used when breakage could result in injury. 10x is used in situations where death could result (like mountain climbing). So, if you bought rope or straps from a box store and they advertised 200lb WL or safe WL and you didn't know the intended application you could multiply by 3 (since 3x is the lowest safety factor used) and get a minimum possible break strength of 600lbs. 3300lbs would equate to a little more than 14 kilonewtons of force which is what some mountain climbing hardware is rated which sustains shock loads of a falling person in a life threatening situations. Probably overkill for most hammock applications.

You do need more strength than your body weight due to shock loads, variance of hang angle, weakening due to or knots or splices, ect. But how much extra is hard to say. Some people are fine with 3x (maybe less) and have used it without failure.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I bought 1.5 inch polyester webbing from CustomTieDowns.com. I have had 500lbs in my hammock with no issues. The webbing has a 4500lb break strength with a 1500lb working load.
    They also have several other sizes like 1 inch rated at 3000lbs/1000lbs. And a dozen or so colors if you want something specific.

I will get something smaller for backpacking, but these give me more piece of mind when I am in the hammock with my wife and a few kids.

I headed for the hammock as soon as I got in from work tonight. I'm now very bruised after the suspension gave way :-(

Before getting in, I didn't check the spliced slings for tightness, and one gave way. Both slings now have a waxed cotton whipping with two stitches, courtesy of my sewing awl.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Manajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I've got Dutch cinch buckles and 1" webbing straps. Just be careful with them, first time I used them, I must not have everything squared up because the strapping ripped. Time to order strap buckles from Dutch and new webbing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Manajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Btw, I only blame myself for not checking before I climbed in. I give high praise to Dutch for his products.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12