Hammock
    HH Explorer UL-A & BIAS Weight Wenn
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20

1st Time Sipsey Trip

Hi,
    I'm new to hanging and to hiking in Sipsey. I usually go to the Smokey's to hike and have used tents until now. A couple of us are planning a trip to Sipsey to try out our hammocks. Do you have some recommendations for a first time trip? We're looking to go for 3 days/2 nights. What should we make certain to see/do? Any trails that we should definitely hike or stay off?

thanks,

JAF

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Any of the main trails should be pretty easy to follow. Only the junctions are marked - there are no blazes on the trail. There's too much to see it all in three days, but 209/204 is a good start. www,sipseywilderness.org has lots of info.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    A lot of my hiking was in the Smokies too before I found the Sipsey. Just be aware that the Sipsey is a wilderness area so there is not the plethora of signage that you would have in the Smokies. Some of the sites and trailheads are difficult to find as a result. Take a map and a compass so you don't get lost. But on the other hand, you have the freedom to camp anywhere so you never have to worry about reserving a site or taking a chance it will be open.

For 3 days, 2 nights, I would use Randolph trailhead and take 202 to 209. You would see the old cemetery and Feather Hawk falls on 202. Take 209 west to 204 and take 204 up the bluff and around to Bee Branch falls. You will have walked by some great campsites before getting to the falls that would make a good 1st night's camp imo. The next day you could take the 204A (not maintained trail) down to see the big tree and then all the way back to 209. Just be aware there are several downed trees along this trail so it will take a lot more time.

Then take 209 west along the river. I believe it technically crosses the river at some point but if you continue along that same trail it reaches ship rock and the eye of the needle (rock formations). Then if you retrace your way back and cross the river you can take a left on a no-name trail right after crossing the river and see another waterfall up the first stream you come to. That (or somewhere else along the river) may make a good 2nd night campsite before heading up the trail to 201 and back to the Randolph trailhead.

That's just my suggestion for a good loop but there are a lot of people on this forum with a TON more experience than me out there. Good luck!

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    For 3 days, 2 nights, I would use Randolph trailhead and take 202 to 209. You would see the old cemetery and Feather Hawk falls on 202. Take 209 west to 204 and take 204 up the bluff and around to Bee Branch falls. You will have walked by some great campsites before getting to the falls that would make a good 1st night's camp imo. The next day you could take the 204A (not maintained trail) down to see the big tree and then all the way back to 209. Just be aware there are several downed trees along this trail so it will take a lot more time.

Then take 209 west along the river. I believe it technically crosses the river at some point but if you continue along that same trail it reaches ship rock and the eye of the needle (rock formations). Then if you retrace your way back and cross the river you can take a left on a no-name trail right after crossing the river and see another waterfall up the first stream you come to. That (or somewhere else along the river) may make a good 2nd night campsite before heading up the trail to 201 and back to the Randolph trailhead.

This is a good loop. You'll get to see a lot of the high points of the Sipsey. I'm taking a small group from our church youth group on a similar loop the last weekend in May. Enjoy!
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
    John Muir

The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
    Christopher McCandless

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've been looking for somewhere to hike / hang this coming weekend. This post just may have made up my mind, how long a hike is the above mentioned post? I was looking at somewhere in AR around the Buffalo River, but this sounds like a plan.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong. John Gierach

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    http://www.sipseywilderness.org/index.html

http://www.sipseywilderness.org/trails/index.html click on each of the trails for a descripton and a downloadable map.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm kind of curious too I was trying to find a nice 30mile loop for the weekend. All my usual hiking buddies have other plans.

I'm 2 hours from the Sipsey and looking for some trail time to try some new gear, if you would like some company keep us posted as to when.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tdecell View Post
    I've been looking for somewhere to hike / hang this coming weekend. This post just may have made up my mind, how long a hike is the above mentioned post? I was looking at somewhere in AR around the Buffalo River, but this sounds like a plan.
    I think this would only be around 10-11 miles. I did this hike in the fall but I'm not sure on the distance of 204A since its not an official trail.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL-A & BIAS Weight Wenn
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Thanks for all the info. We're going the last weekend of May as well. Plan to get there late Thursday & come out on Sunday morning.

MSVol, that looks good but a little short. How would it work to continue up 204 to 224-208-206-201 & back to Thompson?

Ginger, what church are you with in Oxford? I'm a member at North Oxford.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast