Brand new hangar

Hi everyone,

I bought my first hammock today. I'm currently happily hanging in the back yard while posting this on my cell phone.

After spending a few days reading everything I could about hammock camping I was planning to order a king size ticket to the moon and possibly make my own tree straps. However just before pulling the trigger I was browsing craigslist for assorted camping gear and saw an ENO doublenest in a colour I liked with Atlas straps included all for a decent price. The DN/Atlas straps wouldn't have been my first choice but the price and expediency of getting it locally and ready to go was too much to turn down. I live in Vancouver and Canadian options seem a bit limited. Also if you're ordering anything from outside the country it adds a lot of cost and wait time.

I'm excited to get into DIY down the road and possibly make my own hammock/suspension system.

This seems like a great forum with a lot of helpful people and good information.

Happy hanging!
    Last edited by rustyjanes; 05-21-2015 at 23:23.

Welcome to the forum and the world of hammock hanging

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the world of hammock...if your interested in DYI this is the place...hope your bank account can handle it ��

I started out with an ENO DN as well and it worked great for the price but get ready to spend more once you start reading the great reviews and ideas here.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Welcome, from a fellow vancouverite!

Most of my gear is DIY - It really helps make it your own.

Are you in Vancouver proper?

I'm currently in south van but will be moving pretty soon. DIY seems like a good way to go, I'm about to make my first alteration attempt via attaching a structural ridge line. I'm just using some regular rope for now, but do you have any tips on the cheapest source of amsteel in Canada?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyjanes View Post
    I'm currently in south van but will be moving pretty soon. DIY seems like a good way to go, I'm about to make my first alteration attempt via attaching a structural ridge line. I'm just using some regular rope for now, but do you have any tips on the cheapest source of amsteel in Canada?
    I pick mine up when I make a trip to bellingham for the day. Redden Marine is great for amsteel and Zing-It. I haven't found anyone local that know what amsteel is, that is also willing to deal in the thickness and quantities I need.

Most of my DIY stuff comes from the states. I use this mail receiving service just over the border to save on shipping costs .... just try to time your orders to arrive fairly close together. They are the cheapest I have found, and hold packages the longest. (You pay per package, not a monthly fee)

Wow, only $2 for a package, that's a great price. Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to have to order myself some dutchware goodies soon.

• + New Posts