wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps

Old Loggers Path - Loyalsock State Forest, PA - 5/17-19/2015

Hi all. Wanted to share my experience for my first multiday backpacking trip this year Sunday thru Tuesda May 17th thru 19th on the Old Loggers Path in the Loyalsock State Forest in PA. This has been on my list for a while. It was an easy hike to get the season started. I moved this one up on the list because I am concerned that the area may soon be raped by fracking for natuaral gas as I read that some company owns the mineral rights under the forest. That would be a real shame.

Jim and I set off Sunday morning and arrived at the trailhead at the ghost town of Masten at about 2pm. We followed the map at http://midatlantichikes.com/oldloggerspath.htm and followed in clockwise fashion doing 10mi-10mi-6mi easy days. Conditions were a bit damp as it had rained for a bit prior to our arrival to the trailhead. There was a sun shower midway through the 2nd day, and we had a couple hour thunder/lighting/rain storm on the second night. So although the trail was soggy we stayed dry for the most part while walking. Temps ranged from mid 70's during the day to mid 40's at night.

4 miles into the trek we reached a vista and took some pics. It was at about this point where Jim noticed that the sole of his boot was coming unglued. Nothing a little duct tape couldn't handle...well at least temporarily....we did some did some surgery with zing it and a multi-tool to re-attach or suture up the sole to the base.

After the shoe repair we made out way to Pleasant Stream at about the 10mi mark to set up camp. It was a large campsite on the bank of the Pleasant Stream. Jim is a ground dweller...although I have been trying to convert him. My shelter combo of choice for this trip was WL Tapdole tarp, Blackbird hammock, KAQ Jarbidge, and Golite 40* quilt. Had a small thin evasote pad for calves and feet. Not the lightest setup but right now probably my favorite for 3 season. Tadpole set up in porch mode both nights. No rain the first night and the second night it poured for a few hours but no issues at all. No wind so rain just fell straight down so I didn't have to batten down the hatches.

Checking the dogs after 1st day's hike...so far so good! I really like the REI Flex Lite chair and I take it everywhere. A salamander set up camp with us and pretty much stayed all night while we cooked meals and shared a little nightcap of Jameson.

Day two's hike was sunny and warm, and not as humid as day 1. We saw a few rattlers throughout the day especially near Sharptop and Sullivan Mountain. Saw a few white tail deer too. A few great vistas during this section also. We did have a small rain squall that lasted for only about 10 minutes as we descended for our camp spot. We camped at the confluence of Yellow Run and Rock Run and wow what a great spot. Prior to setting up shelters we took a dip in a pool on Rock Run. It was cold but refreshing. It started thundering and lighting around 10pm and the sound of the rain on the tarp was wonderful. When the rain subsided the sound of the rapids of the Yellow Run took its placed in my ears and head bringing me to a peaceful and relaxing state...perfect for sleeping in the Blackbird.

Jim

Lunching it it springside:

Rock Run...you can see Yellow Run waterfall just beyond the fallen tree:

The last day of hiking was pretty easy. 6 miles of mostly downhill but soggy due to the previous nights rain. The rain cleared away all the humidity and it was a very pleasant way to end the trip. Glad I went on this trip and would definately do it again possibly with my 13 & 15year old children in tow since I think they could handle it. We stopped at the Forksville Inn on the way out of the county for some PBR's and Burgers that really hit the spot before treking back to the Philly/South Jersey region.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out the trip report. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Chris K

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Sounds like you had a great trip Chris. Thanks for sharing the pictures I did that hike last year and had a great time as well. It is a nice and easy loop trail that is easy to follow. I may go back and do this hike again this year.

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Having been on many backpacking trips as a Scout, a tube of shoe always made it into someone's pack just in case a blow-out occurred. Glad to hear you were able to do a little surgery and finish the trip
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Great trip report, you picked my 2 favorite campsites on the OLP. I have hiked that trail a couple of times and have no doubt I will do it again.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Yooz I saw your video of the OLP with Baxter a while back. Thanks for the tips. I hope Adaranko does not ruin the area with their industrialized fracking for natural gas. They would surely ruin the area and the OLP. Next up Black Forest Trail?
    Last edited by Chris K; 05-22-2015 at 20:25.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. Looked like a great trip. Makes me miss the mountains of Pa.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice trip report! My wife and I did the OLP a couple of years ago and had a great time. My friends and I also kayak Rock Run when it's up starting at Yellow Dog road. It's an exciting run to say the least.

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Yooz I saw your video of the OLP with Baxter a while back. Thanks for the tips. I hope Adaranko does not ruin the area with their industrialized fracking for natural gas. They would surely ruin the area and the OLP. Next up Black Forest Trail?
    I haven't done a trip report on the Black Forest Trail yet but have hiked it twice. It's an awesome trail with many spectacular views, you won't be disappointed.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks for the trip report. This one's on the top of my short list to hit up when I eventually have time to get some hiking in - great to see another round of pictures on it!

What's the wood situation like? Did you have a fire in the evenings?

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Lots of wood but it was damp during our trip so 1st night we didn't even try to make a fire. Second night we tried to build a fire and succeeded after a long while. It was a decent fire but it rained hard. Jim and I sat under the tadpole tarp on the flex lite chairs sipping more Jameson and watched the fire die as the rain came down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast