WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iconicflux View Post
    How family friendly is this event?
    I invite my sisters and their families, friends, neighbors and they all have kids.

The place, group camp area, is large enough to handle 100 folks and has 4 communal fire pits. Usually there will 2, perhaps 3 fires and at least one them is family friendly. Lots of laughs, story telling maybe some music.

I've camped with my nephews and nieces for a week before the hang and on other occasions, the week after. Wrapping some time around the big hang weekend has been fun every time. If we go early, we do a little back country camping (no fee, just registration for the back country sites), then pay to stay at the family sites for a few days. (reserve the sites in advance they go quick, great bathrooms, clean, heated) Sometimes well stay for a couple days after the big hang is over and we have this huge pine grove to ourselves. The Park Office has been very accommodating with the last minute add on, we just have to pay the site fee for the additional day(s). There's room for another 15-20 folks when we rent just one of the 4 available group sites, so folks are welcome to join us. The fall calendar seems to work out with the days kids have off from school but the Spring gathering has me calling in the 'Uncle's prerogative' and yanking them out of school for a day or two.

On average I'll have a pair of 9 year olds, pair of 13 year old and maybe a 18-20 year old in tow with me, along with one or two of their parents.

There's lots to do in the area if you enjoy hiking. The AT passes through and it's an easy drive to various hiking locations that follow some trout streams or are up on a ridge. There are a few lakes and ponds in the area for paddling or hiking. When the weather cooperates it's great for stargazing.

The kids tend to find each other and work something out to do. As kids will. Around feeding time at the pavilion, just bring the kids over to another bunch, sit down, say hello and that's about all I've ever had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by iconicflux View Post
    Looks like I'm bringing my 9yo daughter with me. Gotta work on her hanging setup in case the temp dives down. Figure I'll diy her a uq and tq. She can get away with a blue tarp for this trip..( I don't have enough bones for another silnylon tarp. )

Is it worth bringing turtledog stands in case there're not enough trees or is that not really an issue?

Also, I'm wondering if I should bring a set of Cards against Humanity to play at night...
    I've never heard of anyone ever having to go to ground. Arriving early allows you to choose a prime spot but none of them are bad. Turtle dog stands just give you more flexibility.

When you arrive, there are always folks willing to lend a hand with setup and scouting sites. I've rarely made it out of the car, let alone the parking lot before folks are offering to help. Very generous and friendly group this is.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 02-08-2016 at 09:35.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here...
    A few FYIs...

--It is always a good idea to consider bringing a hammock stand if you have one. If you don't need it...maybe if someone else does...consider allowing them to use it. We never know until the last couple of weeks or less how many people will be attending the hang. Yes, there are plenty of trees...but depending on how many come...we could run out of tree hanging places. There is plenty of open space to put a stand.

--Please know...only those paying to stay on one of the sites at the Family Campground have the use of those bathroom facilities. EDIT: Day use shower facilities will not be open at this time of the year. See Doogie's post #73 below.

--Those bringing a dog must stay in the family campground. Only service dogs are allowed in the Group Camping Area. All leashed dogs are allowed at the pavilion.

--If available...any of the sites at the Group Camping Area may be reserved for days before or after the hang. It is up to the individual to make and pay for these reservations.

--Alcohol is not permitted in the park.

--All this and other info will be in the Official Planning Thread that will be posted sometime this month.

Thank you!
    Last edited by 2Questions; 02-08-2016 at 09:44.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Donna here...
    A few FYIs...

--Please know...only those paying to stay on one of the sites at the Family Campground have the use of those bathroom facilities. I believe there are showers available at one of the day use areas.

Thank you!
    I suggested this a few years ago, but then found out that the day use area showers are only open when the beaches are open.

"The beaches at Fuller and Laurel lakes are open from May 1 to September 30, 8 a.m. to sunset."

So, we are a few weeks early for them. I believe that you can contact the ranger station and pay for shower use. Something like $3

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I suggested this a few years ago, but then found out that the day use area showers are only open when the beaches are open.

"The beaches at Fuller and Laurel lakes are open from May 1 to September 30, 8 a.m. to sunset."

So, we are a few weeks early for them. I believe that you can contact the ranger station and pay for shower use. Something like $3

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
    Thanks Doogie!
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

How do I get in on this? My son and I are getting into hammock camping this year and I've been told these group hangs are a great way to get started, plus this is pretty close to me. I'm getting our first hammocks in a week or 2.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.hertzog View Post
    How do I get in on this? My son and I are getting into hammock camping this year and I've been told these group hangs are a great way to get started, plus this is pretty close to me. I'm getting our first hammocks in a week or 2.
    Show up.
    Say Hello.

When the signup sheet is posted, it's helpful to put down that you are planning to attend so the head count matches the food prepared. Not that there is ever a lack of food.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Sound man it be great to see you it's been ages. By the way I still use the Phish mug you gave me I love that thing. I should be at this one so see ya their.
    LRR- great stuff. I have missed several MAHHA's and backpack trips with 2Q due to too much work and not enough play time!

See you then.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.hertzog View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I put in a vacation request at work today, have to wait a week to find out if I get it tho.... was wondering where to sign up, how much it cost to attend, etc but I saw above Donna said there will be another thread about that. Waiting as patiently as possible, should be ordering our 1st of 2 hammocks this pay-day.

How buggy is Pine Grove in April?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    How buggy is Pine Grove in April?
    Not very - but you never know what the overnight lows will be.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Last year we had lite snow the two days prior to the hang a bunch of us were up hiking before the hang did not see any bugs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast