Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Versatility of the Jarbidge

So, I am totally aware that all of this depends on the person using the gear but I am just looking for some input from you guys. I am new to the hammocks and have the jarbidge. I am wondering how versatile it can be. I may be planning an AT thru hike next year but also just for general use, but does anyone have experience using this quilt or just one quilt for a whole thru? I wonder if using an underequilt protector/sock and wearing more clothes would extend the temp rating low enough to be of use in the winter and fall/late spring or even using a pad and also if venting it open in the warmer months wouldn't leave me too hot. I am generally a warm sleeper. I am just thinking about extending the use of this quilt since it is so affordable and I don't want to shell out a lot for different rated down quilts at this point. Thanks.
    Last edited by jcvd01; 05-24-2015 at 16:28.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started out with just ccf pads for a couple of years; got down to 22* F one night. Then I got an HG 20* Burrow and Phoenix. That lasted me a couple of years, from lows of 70* F down to 13*F. Eventually I got a 0* Burrow & Incubator, and 40* Phoenix & Burrow so I can take the insulation I need. I also replaced the 20* Burrow & Phoenix so all my quilts are now Argon and Dri-Down.

Most of the time I take the 20* F Burrow and Phoenix. The other quilts are just specialty quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    My first UQ is a Jarbidge and it's still my go to quilt. I have had mine down to 27 degrees with a supplemental blue ccf pad I got from wally world. I don't use an UQ protector since it is synthetic and will still keep me warm if wet. I have been in some pretty heavy rain storms but never really had a problem with a wet Jarbidge...at most it was damp and or clammy but it dries pretty quick. Maybe that's because when I suspect rain I have the tarp pitched lower with the tie outs almost at ground level.
    For the money the Jarbidge is a great quilt. If something goes wrong I can get a second one and probably still make out better cost wise over a down quilt.

Seems like a 20 degree UQ can be pretty versatile as you can bring it lower in the winter and vent it open in the summer, the rest is just convenience, unless you are going super cold obviously. The idea for the UQ protector was to trap in more heat and block more wind, I think I read it can add up to another 10 degrees of warmth. I know if I decide to take something like the on an AT thru hike, having the jarbidge would be bulkier than other options especially in the summer months, but it's what I have and sounds like it might be able to get the job done if I don't mind carrying a bulkier or heavier item and making some adjustments in the cold areas. Thanks for the input guys, and anything else people might want to add from experience would be appreciated!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad & PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    I have the 20 degree AHE UQ and love it.
    Be sure to get out and practice with your under quilt a lot before you actually take it out for a night. I made the mistake of not being well versed in the adjustments of mine and froze my first night out with it.
    Even recently I had a tough time getting it adjusted properly but I have only used it three time before that. They do have a learning curve to them

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use the 3 season Jarbridge with 2QZQ UQP (plus gathered end hammock and HUG bug net) in all but very hot/buggy weather. I camp often.
    The TQ is an important decision as well. I use a Snugpak Jungle bag above 45F and a mummy bag when below that.

This set-up is very versatile.
    UQ - In hot weather I just move the UQ off to the side when going to bed and if needed in the night I move the UQ back under me. The Jarbridge advertised temp range is right for me too.
    TQ/SB - I mostly use the SBs as top quilts (both are small bags), but I will get inside the SB when near the lower temp range. I bring a small fleece blanket as well to use where/when needed.
    UQP - keeps the wind from robing heat and keeps bugs from biting your behind. When cold/windy I close the lower half of the UQP up with a couple clothing pins that I cut from the plastic hangers you get when buying kids pants (P.S. I do use a simple Tyvek sock in very cold/windy weather.)
    The bug net adds comfort and blocks some wind too. I use no-see-um from Dutch.

AT planning - I section hike so can't help with the long haul. Research and learn from those that accomplish the hike (not the pre-hike pack outs but post hike reviews). I think an inexpensive solution could be done.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

I bought a Jarbidge a few weeks ago because I needed to determine if I wanted to switch to hammocks and it was a cheap UQ to learn from. I've slept in it the past three nights in the back yard and slept better than in my bed. The Jarbidge will be my float trip/car camping quilt, it taught me what I needed to know but I've ordered a HG Burrow and Incubator for long hikes, plan to try them out on the CT in August. For $100 it's a good deal, you and I will get our money's worth from it...mine is going down the Etowah River this week end.

Versatility of the Jarbidge

I have a jar bridge and with the help of a bag liner I used to make a pod system I've had it down to single digits.

I love it.

That being said if I was considering a thru hike I'd opt for down.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Yeah, down is clearly better all around. I am trying to decide where to spend my money to keep overall costs down. My plan was to get a HG down TQ to replace my 20 degree down mummy sleeping bag(bulky) and stick to the jarbidge for the UQ. I could also get a down UQ and keep the bag for cold weather and find a light alternative for the warmer weather. Figuring out this gear can feel convoluted at first but I love it!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    When are you planning on leaving on your thru hike?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast