Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yes have the tarp ready to go!

On a recent trip I posed a photo of my setup to the HF Facebook page. Someone said something like "why the tarp? Weather looks great" They're obviously not a hanger...or not a very good one!

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    20160331_184447.jpg

This is an old thread, but I didn't feel it was necessary to start a new one.

A couple of days ago, my 4 yo nephew and I were out hanging in the backyard, just playing around and I decided to leave my gear hanging up because I knew a rain was coming and wanted to see how everything held up.

Night 1 went well, no rain or high winds, everything was as I left it.

Night 2 didn't fare so well, the storm blew in and when I woke up 3/4 of my tarp stakes had pulled out of the ground and my hammock and UQ were soaked. I had to go to work so I just restaked my tarp and left.

The image above is what I came home to. A very big storm with 60mph winds came through. Several utility poles were snapped and multiple trees down.

There was no damage to any of my equipment, just wet and tangled. Looks like I need to invest in some longer stakes.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ps. Ignore my nasty yard and fence that is in dire need of a pressure washing.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnickerson1017 View Post
    20160331_184447.jpg

This is an old thread, but I didn't feel it was necessary to start a new one.

A couple of days ago, my 4 yo nephew and I were out hanging in the backyard, just playing around and I decided to leave my gear hanging up because I knew a rain was coming and wanted to see how everything held up.

Night 1 went well, no rain or high winds, everything was as I left it.

Night 2 didn't fare so well, the storm blew in and when I woke up 3/4 of my tarp stakes had pulled out of the ground and my hammock and UQ were soaked. I had to go to work so I just restaked my tarp and left.

The image above is what I came home to. A very big storm with 60mph winds came through. Several utility poles were snapped and multiple trees down.

There was no damage to any of my equipment, just wet and tangled. Looks like I need to invest in some longer stakes.
    I did something similar not too long ago. I left everything (tarp, hammock, quilts...EVERYTHNG) out because I had plans to crash in it that night. We had an unexpected squall line come through mid-day while I was at work. I came home to 30 kt winds, my tarp flapping in the breeze, my UQ skittering along the ground, and my hammock acting like a parachute. My heart stopped until I caught up with the UQ and didn't see any tears. From now on, I only test stuff when I can be there with it. And I trust my quilts to nothing unless I'm around.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The only "damage" was to my UQ (which I took down prior to snapping the photo). The knot in the shock cord suspension came untied and pulled out of the line loc under the high winds. It must've got pretty nasty.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Wait! You did not have a knife on you? This does not compute. You need to head over to EDC forums and get set up properly. :-)

Hammock
    Hammeck
    So, I did the same thing for testing out my gear. I was going camping on an island, and didn't want to get stranded in the middle of the night. I had set up my hammock on several occasions with tarp etc. Everything seemed good... and when I went to the island everything was great... until the storm hit. Now in all honesty, I was in charge of this trip and I was captain of the boat etc, and therefore I kind of very quickly threw my hammock up, more or less to show off to all the tent campers, and of course I did it right on the edge overlooking the water(see attached image.)
    Hammock woods15.jpg
    Well when the storm came in it blew right through, and knocked my tarp right off. I believe had I spend more time tying these correctly rather then kind of just throwing it together, it likely wouldn't of happened. The point is, its not a bad idea to test your gear in adverse conditions as well.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If that island was in salt water, I'm sure you had checked the tide tables to make sure you wouldn't have to wade through ankle deep (or higher) water in the morning.

Just say'n, I think all of you who test your gear before going out are winners

I use a nearby park to test/setup/check gear and when the hammock/tarp go up, the "locals" (I have another word for them) call the cops because they think I'm setting up a homeless camp in "their" park. After a few words with the officer - who is just doing his job - he wishes me well and that I enjoy the "public" park like everyone else.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end HyperD 1.0.
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    First post here so be nice. I was taught how to Daisy Chain (Chain Sinnet, Monkey Braid) line by some Navy Divers a years ago and I use it for everything. The link tells you how to do a single loop one, for longer line I use a double loop. it's the same process but with two loops and you alternate with one you pull through.

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/#ScrollPoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123