Newbie! Two hammocks under one tarp? Kinds of tarps?

Hi! Me and my boyfriend have just discovered the world of hammocking and we are looking for a tarp that will fit both of us under it. I was looking at the Superfly by warbonnet, but cant drop the money on it just this second! I was wondering if there are any cheaper options that any one else has been using for two hammocks! As of right now were just using a cheap tarp from Walmart and hanging it on a ridgeline with it tied down but its kind of bulky for back packing. We are pretty new to using hammocks so any advice also would be helpful!

*We usually share one tree for our heads and the two trees at our feet so its like a triangle.
    Last edited by Silverlinings; 05-25-2015 at 13:54.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There are a few great vendors you can check out. Wildernesslogics.com has the tad pole tarp, its a little cheaper and is pretty nice. Arrowheadequipment has some nice stuff to I've heard but I haven't ordered from them.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlinings View Post
    I was looking at the Superfly by warbonnet, but cant drop the money on it just this second! I was wondering if there are any cheaper options that any one else has been using for two hammocks!
    I have been using a Cloudburst, which is less expensive than a Superfly, but I don't know what your budget is.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    DIY 11' rip stop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY rip stop
    Insulation
    REI 20* bg
    Suspension
    webbing
    image.jpg
    This is with a DIY 10x11. Not the greatest hanging job. But it kept us both warmer and drier than being exposed. It worked well. It was a very quick pitch in the dark, so it would look much better if it had been hung with daylight and time.

Joanns fabric 7.5 yards use a 50% off or order from rips top by the roll, if you can sew. Look up fronkey on you tube DIY tarp. About $30

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Look at Etowah for 10x12 tarps, they're lighter, much lighter than the wal mart tarps....though not as light as the Superfly, nor as specialized, its a simple rectangle tarp, but because its 12 ft long, its longer than the Superfly.. width is the same... with the tie out tabs being spaced as I understand it, you can set it up the same way the Superfly is set up, but it'll be a little longer by 6 inches on the ends of the ridge line. It's basically half the price or less for a little bigger tarp, BUT it's 2 lbs 8oz versus 1 lb 3oz for the Superfly.... a significant weight penalty... Although I would daresay the wal mart plastic tarp is 4-5 pounds.... so you can half the weight, and pay half the cost of the Superfly, or you can quarter the weight, and pay the full cost of the Superfly... or you can try to get one on the Classifieds here.
    For the same weight (2 lbsish), a Kelty Noah's 12 would be like a palace for two hammocks, due to it being a square tarp.

For much less money, if you're handy with a sewing machine/thread injector, 7-8 yards of silnylon from Ripstop By The Roll , or Sil poly, will be nice, Oh and if you enter a Discount code on the website, I think they still do a discount for Hammock Forums member, you save some money this way too! But at the cost of being hit by the DIY bug and making more than one thing!

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Kelty Noah 12's are on sale on Amazon for around $50 and are fantastic tarps more than capable of holding 2. I don't think you can find better for less, much less anything as durable.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Me and my son both hung under my Big Daddy by Wilderness Logics. Had plenty room. Hung the tarp centered on two trees 2' diameter. Hammock suspensions came out on each side of the trees.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hello there. My wife and I have shared a warbonnet superfly on many instances during our backpacking trips. We've tied hiking poles to our ridgelines to act as a spreader bar. We're both using gathered end hammocks. I will post a picture shortly.
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just remembered this; There's the option of the Paha Que gear hammock rainfly from Amazon; I think the Double is just under 9 feet wide ,and has a ridge line of 12 feet, with a side length (hex shape) of 10 feet-ish... only one color, but pretty cheap from what I can see on Amazon...weighs 21oz or so..... Seems most of the stated weight is due to the carabiners and stakes and webbing tree straps but you can always remove them I would think.

I have a DD Hammocks' 4.5x3 meters tarp, and it's a great cover for two hammocks

• + New Posts