Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images

basics, basics, basics

So, the wind is only blowing at 5mph right now, which I find hard to believe I feel like I've been swinging in a tornado for the last few hours. I think I had my tarp staked out pretty good, but it still did a lot of flapping around. How do we prevent this? Is that what these little orange rubber things that ed speer sells is for? Should I be using shockcord with my tie outs, or are these the same idea?

I'm sorry I'm kind of slow...it's an adjustment. All those years of sleeping on the ground must have given me a slow leak in my brain or something

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    I wonder if the lack of a real ridgline on the clark has anything to do with it? It just seems like everyone else has tighter pitches

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi
    Do you have any photos of your setup?
    cheers
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How big/small are the trees you're attaching to?
    I've literally been 'bounced' in my hammock during a wind gust. The head-end was tied to a small, but leafy tree. The tree was prone to swaying in the wind which was nice in a light breeze, but frightening in a strong wind.

As for the tarp flapping, is the XL cat cut? I don't think it is, but I could easily be wrong. Tarps with a straight edge are difficult to get, and keep, pitched tight along the edges. A little flap is pretty normal. If they are cat cut, then you might try using tensioners on your ground tie-outs to keep the tarp nice and tight overnight.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Tensioners do make a huge difference regardless of cut. At least the flys that I have are very vulnerable to even a change in humidity, let alone rain and wind. I use some shock cord loops as well as large O rings with success. Someday I will get a little more sophisticated (and more $) and get the Speer tensioners.

I also hang a water bottle on the corners of my Claytor Diamond tarp and that helps keep it nice and tight. I am amazed at how much they drop just from a damp humid night.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    Using line tensioners makes good sense. Likewise, putting weight in the hammock can pull smaller trees closer together- even a teenie weenie little bit of slack in the tarp's ridgeline can create a pretty big flap factor.That same logic leads me to wonder why an elastic component is not a popular item on the ridge line. As Cannibal pointed out, trees can and do sway-so, if you start out with the ridgeline good and tight, and the trees sway apart, the tarp must get a little longer , right?
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    tighter setup usually means less flapping as well

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Trees of sufficient girth, tensioners, and pitching head into the wind have helped me. I've also pitched my large tarp to the ground (not using guylines) and closed down one end, and avoided a lot of wind that way. One trip that was the only way I could boil water, create a windless spot to light my stove.

Images
    Make sure the angle you are pulling on the tarp is good. The right angle, usually around 45 degrees to the ground (straight out from the corner of the tarp) will give a more taut pitch. If you see wrinkles in your tarp, this is a good sign you need to stake it at another angle.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    So, the wind is only blowing at 5mph right now, which I find hard to believe I feel like I've been swinging in a tornado for the last few hours. I think I had my tarp staked out pretty good, but it still did a lot of flapping around. How do we prevent this?
    It happens to me regularly- the first night I'm in the woods, the tarp flapping bugs me. After that first night, I never seem to hear it.

But wait, now this thread has got me thinking that I can spend even MORE time and money fiddling with my setup! I've been so focused on getting my hammock and under-insulation perfect that I've forgotten all about the tarp! Hurray!

(insert little icon of syringe with hammock logo, being injected into the arm of a gear junkie...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast