Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Looking for a GA/SC/NC Hike!

Hey everyone,

I've got a few friends who are interested in backpacking. I got them to join me on a relatively short (18ish miles) trip last weekend, and now they are looking for more! Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hike in the northern GA or western NC/SC area? We are looking for something in the 25-30ish mile range. A loop would be preferable, but not required. They definitely prefer moderate to easy grades since their packs are still quite heavy. Don't worry - I'm working on that!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

Str1der
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    I'd recommend the Standing Indian loop of the AT near Franklin, NC. Good views from the tower on Albert Mt and Standing Indian. Long Branch tr --> AT --> Kimsey Creek tr is about 24 - 25 miles.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hey Str1der ...

I had a similar question last week. Here is the link. There are several suggestions that may interest you and your buddies.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rgia+base+camp

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Hey Str1der ...

I had a similar question last week. Here is the link. There are several suggestions that may interest you and your buddies.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rgia+base+camp

STinGa
    My suggestion in that post would be perfect for what you're looking for as well.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I will second the Standing Indian Loop trek. None of it is hard hiking, save the short scramble up Albert. Definitely doable as two full days. Due to a hookup snafu with my hiking partner, we ended up meeting at Deep Gap in the early evening and doing zero miles for that day. We unexpectedly did 18 miles the next day from there to the Long Branch trail as the hiking was easy, and as it was much colder at higher elevation near Albert, we kept hiking on down to Glassmine Gap and camped at a primo spot just down the Long Branch trail.

Note that this is a great summer hike due to the elevation. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for, with alongside stream hiking on the Kimsey Creek trail, some of the easiest switchbacks you'll ever do going up to Standing Indian with a nice view there, relatively flat hiking from there to Mt. Albert where you get an incredible view looking out and down on Hwy 441, and a mild downhill from there all the way back to the car. Hardest part would be the initial climb on the Kimsey Creek trail (and finding that trail, LOL). Oh, and the area around the Carter Gap shelter is good for hanging and its right at midway if you're doing that loop in 2 days.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Thanks for the advice. I will definitely put this on my list. I know of three shelter areas on this loop plus established campsites at Betty Creek Gap, Beech Gap, and Standing Indian summit. Can any of those sites accommodate five hammocks? I expect trees will be in short supply on most of the summits.
    Last edited by Str1der; 05-28-2015 at 14:34.
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    Betty Creek could handle them, not sure of Beech, the actual summit of Standing Indian is a small grassy patch but there would be some great sites just off the summit. An added advantage of this loop for first timers is there are several trails to bailout on if you want to leave early.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My recollection from 3 years ago is that I recall Betty Creek Gap site being small and not a lot of area to hang. I do know of a 2 hikers that hung there on their way around the loop, but I'm not sure about 5. I could be wrong about that. I recall Beech Gap being large and a decent place to camp, pretty sure 5 would not be a problem there. The area of the trail to the summit of Standing Indian has short stubby trees, but they seem substantial enough that I've often thought of hanging there, and seems like there would be plenty of room to do that for 5. That might be a good primary destination to get to early, and then hike downhill to Beech if it looks like it won't work out hanging near the summit.

Having taken a few trips now where I didn't know where we would camp, and having had to make a campsite on the side of a ridge, or across the trail, etc., I'd say don't worry about where you'll end up too much. You all can make it work with hammocks.

I would caution you that the whole section from Deep Gap, where the Kimsey Creek trail comes in, to Glassmine Gap, where the Long Branch trail intersects, is significantly above 4000'. Its a great "beat the heat" summer trip, no doubt. Temps aren't terrible, but wind can make it very chilly.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Do you recommend hiking clockwise or counterclockwise? Different reports claim both ways are better. We plan to use Long Branch and Kimsey Creek Trails to complete the 24.3 mile loop, and we're looking to spend three days and two nights on the trail.

I'm thinking clockwise starting on LB Trail to Glassmine Gap and then south on the AT to Deep Gap and the KC Trail, but I'm not sure if the reverse would be better?
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    http://www.atlantatrails.com/cloudland-canyon/ looks about what your looking for just over the TN line north a few miles is http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGD020-038

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast