SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jdenkevitz View Post
    I just received a 12 foot Trail Lair from SLD. Its a night and day difference in comfort between that and my ENO DN. MUCH less calf pressure. Great value. He was ridiculously fast by the way. 24 hours to ship once I ordered.
    I got an 11 foot Trail Lair early April. I have spent 6 of the most comfortable camping nights ever in it so far. And, yes-Jared is very fast! Not to mention he was quick to respond to my pre-purchase inquiries. This is my first hammock, and I wanted to make sure I got it right. So far, I think I did!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    I think something needs to be made clear though. Everyone keeps talking about the Dutch hammock being so cheap at $35. But to add the ridgeline and suspension it's an extra $41. Then to add a bugnet you are looking at an additional $50. That brings the toal up to $126, which is still $45 cheaper than a Warbonnet Blackbird but then - doesn't have the footbox, shelf, tie-downs, etc either.
    I just looked up the WBBB and to get the 11' version of it with whoopies with is would cost me $220+ shipping so that is almost $100 more than what you priced for a Dutch hammock with ridgeline, bug net and suspension. The 10' blackbird is $195+ shipping.

I have a 11' Dutch nylonD hammock that I use all the time and love it. This will be my go to hammock for as long as it last.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    I just looked up the WBBB and to get the 11' version of it with whoopies with is would cost me $220+ shipping so that is almost $100 more than what you priced for a Dutch hammock with ridgeline, bug net and suspension. The 10' blackbird is $195+ shipping.

I have a 11' Dutch nylonD hammock that I use all the time and love it. This will be my go to hammock for as long as it last.
    You are comparing the prices for the double layer warbonnets with a single layer dutch hammock. The Blackbird is $170 and a single layer XLC is $195. And that is an all inclusive price.

I am not arguing that the Warbonnet hammocks are not more expensive. I just think it is misleading to a newbie to say the Dutch hammock is only $35 compared to a Warbonnet when that price doesn't include suspension, tree straps, ridgeline, bugnet, and (of course) any of the additional features of the Warbonnet hammock line.

I am not saying the Dutch hammocks are not well made and an excellent choice. You just got to compare apples to apples when talking prices.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    You are comparing the prices for the double layer warbonnets with a single layer dutch hammock. The Blackbird is $170 and a single layer XLC is $195. And that is an all inclusive price.

I am not arguing that the Warbonnet hammocks are not more expensive. I just think it is misleading to a newbie to say the Dutch hammock is only $35 compared to a Warbonnet when that price doesn't include suspension, tree straps, ridgeline, bugnet, and (of course) any of the additional features of the Warbonnet hammock line.

I am not saying the Dutch hammocks are not well made and an excellent choice. You just got to compare apples to apples when talking prices.
    Hope it didn't seem like I was trying to argue I just looked up the price of the WBBB and didn't see the option for the single layer I was just wondering mainly where you found that price at.

Don't worry, I have plenty of time to do research as I'm pretty broke right now

I am hot natured, prefer my house freezing while I sleep, and generally love tent camping except the part where I sweat to death during June-August all night. When I finally get a hammock I'll take something to put under me for sure, but I'll probably try to go without the first night and see how it goes.

One of the reasons I was drawn to The two I posted is because they seem to be "all inclusive." I'm a big fan of simplicity and if I can pull something out of one bag and call it a day, even better. If I use this while car camping I'll have 3 small kids to chase while I'm assembling (and believe me, I do it now while assembling 2 tents and it is NO fun at all...)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7 Gen 2
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba/DIY
    Insulation
    Wooki/DiamondBack
    Suspension
    Webbing Buckle
    I have the WBBB and I can honestly say there's nothing out there that comes even close to the comfort and craftsmanship of Warbonnet hammocks! I've been in almost all major popular hammocks and there's no question bout it! Go with Warbonnet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Dream Hammocks all the way, they give the most options and their work is second to none.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Arrowhead Equipment has starter kits that I think are a pretty good balance to get you off the ground. I've have a couple Jarbidges and like 'em alot. 10% off today through Sunday.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went ahead and shelled the cash to start and bought the WBBB XLC... Glad I did! The all inclusive piece was huge for me and it doesn't disappoint. The foot box makes it very easy for a beginner to find the "sweet spot" so I found that I slept great first time out... I have a few friends that hang and they told me it would take a bit to figure it out but they both have ENO hammocks. After napping in my XLC they are saving up! All that being said, one of Dutch's 11' hammocks is next on the list for a go to light weight option...

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I started with a $20 Yukon hammock, once I worked out that I did indeed find sleeping in a hammock to be comfortable I then spent the money on a WBBB XLC - no regrets at all there!
    I've now ordered a WB Superfly tarp, should provide a great camping shelter with less bulk & weight than my large & comfy tent (Redverz Expedition II) while providing all the protection and room I want.

I would definitely recommend the WBBB XLC - great hammock suitable for anyone doing anything! You get the removable bugnet, structural ridgeline, double ended stuff sack and suspension all in one package. For warm weather you can easily and cheaply be comfortable, it is summer here and I'm using a cotton sheet as my top cover and a home made Poncho Liner Under Quilt (PLUQ) to keep my but warm, I flick the UQ out from under the hammock when I'm hot which helps a lot.

Since the day my WBBB XLC arrived I've slept in it EVERY night - great hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast