Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ENO, WBBB, or something else?

I'm looking at our first hammock purchase in the next few months, and don't mind spending a little more for a good product if necessary, nor do I mind a wait.

I'm looking at the WBBB (saw the videos, very impressed) or ENO Junglenest with Atlas straps.

We camp in hot, humid, buggy conditions. So the "cold butt" thing actually sounds amazingly appealing, and bug net is a must. I'm 210lbs on a good day, he is 160ish.

We already have a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12x12 that usually goes over a picnic table, but where we plan on going with hammocks there won't be picnic tables.

Any advice between those two, or other options in that general price range, are very appreciated

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'd go with the blackbird before Eno anyday if the week. Honestly though if you are just starting out try dutchware's 11' hammocks and his fronkey style bugnet a for a fraction of the cost. Figure out such you really like then invest in the expensive stuff.

Personally I won't buy a wbbb just because of the weight, and I don't need the extra features. If you're going somewhere without picnic tables I'm assuming that you're backpacking. I'd pick up dutch's stuff for the weight and ease of use (add titanium cinch buckles with continuous loops and tree straps). Build or buy a ridgeline organizer, add some basic bottom insulation, your sleeping bag deployed as a topquilt and you're in business.

What is this sleeping bag, bottom insulation, topquilt stuff you speak of? Is it really that much colder in a hammock? (If so, count me in!)

When we have time to get away, it's usually 90-100 during the day, down to 75-80 at night. We currently tent camp and never use more than a thin sheet, with a box fan blowing over us all night

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    We are used to sleeping on insulated surfaces like mattresses or sleep pads. When hanging you have nothing below you, and convection robs you of warmth.

I just came in from hanging on 75degree evening with a good breeze. With the breeze I was starting to get some CBS or cold but syndrome. This is why people usually put pads in their hammocks, or even better we use underquikts (UQ). UQs are great because (among other reasons) you can still "vent" them in warmer weather by loosening them up.

If you camp only in hot humid conditions (+75 at night) with no breeze ever then don't worry about insulation. Try out a cheap hammock overnight in the yard first though. This is why I'm suggesting very good cheaper gear first, so that you can figure out what you really need. Insulation is prolly the most expensive thing we hangers buy.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    If you haven't already, you should look at Shug's how to videos. Google Shugemery and plan on spending an hour or so with his videos for noobs. They're excellent and will help you understand the technology of hammock camping.

Monkeyboy42 mentioned re-purposing a sleeping bag for top cover. That's what I did initially and it worked fine. I bought a double layer WBBB that let me use foam insulation underneath initially. Sure I've got a few extra ounces in my hammock but I've learned a great deal being able to try out different types of insulation to figure out what worked best for me. I've matured now to down top and under quilts now but I learned what worked for me starting with the basic as Monkeyboy42 suggestions. Good luck.

I'll be checking them out, thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Invest in the hammock that will last you and offer the greatest features. Since it is in your budget, the Warbonnet blackbird XLC will soar over anything from ENO in every way.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    You should also check out the Simply Light Designs Trail Lair hammock. Super comfy, extremely well constructed, and you can option it up however you like it.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post
    We camp in hot, humid, buggy conditions. So the "cold butt" thing actually sounds amazingly appealing, and bug net is a must.
    Take it from a Floridian - CBS does not stand for comfortably-cool butt syndrome. It is cold butt syndrome without a doubt. The kind of cold where you cannot sleep. And it happens at much higher temperatures than you would expect. I sleep in my hammock in my bedroom every night. The AC is set to 75 and I put the ceiling fan on low. By about 1am I wake up shivering if I don't have some kind of insulation underneath me.

In terms of your question, I don't think ENO is ever the best option. They are expensive, heavy, and short. Hammock length has a much bigger impact on comfort than width does. I second Monkeyboy's suggestion to try out one of Dutch's hammocks. The WB hammocks are well made and have a loyal fan base, but you're paying a lot of money for features that most people don't really need. Pair a Dutch hammock with a Fronkey style bug net and you'll be comfortable for cheap.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Down to 75 degrees, I usually use a windshield screen as a pad in my WBBB and I'm fine. Any lower and I carry along my underquilt. If the temps are literally in the 90's at night, then I don't think you would need anything but sleeping in a hammock is definitely much cooler than sleeping in a tent.

I love my WBBB and use those features especially in the summer. I can't use the tie-downs with my underquilt but use the "shelf" like a pocket. The footbox is especially nice when it's hot because it provides extra ventilation. Dutch wasn't selling hammocks when I got my WBBB so I would have definitely given them consideration but I love my WBBB and there is a reason he is having trouble keeping up with demand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast