Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clark Hammock set-up for the AT

Okay let me start by apologizing for potentially repeating previously asked questions but I am reviewing these forms by a mobile device and the app is not super user friendly when it comes to searching through prior threads.

I am a South Florida resident and have been camping a Clark tropical jungle hammock for quite a few years. I am currently in the early planning stages of doing an Appalachian Trail thru hike. I am planning on using a Clark nx - 170 hammock for this trip but I am curious as to the under quilt and the top quilt system. I have seen many people say the top quilt is less important then the under quilt and am curious if I can simply take a down 0 sleeping bag and an under quilt. Clark makes an under quilt for their hammocks would anybody recommend using that quilt or favor something better.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    The Clark underquilt is nice because it is attached via velcro all around the hammock, but it is bulky (currently made from Climashield Apex). I would say it is good down to maybe 35* with a windcover (i got mine from 2qzq) which is definitely a smart extremely lightweight investment. When are you planning to start your hike and from which end?
    Discretion is the better of valor

At the moment im looking at an early March start from the south

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    I would say it is good down to maybe 35* with a windcover (i got mine from 2qzq) which is definitely a smart extremely lightweight investment.
    Excuse the amateur question but what is a wind cover would that be something different from the WeatherShield the winter Clark hammocks come with?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mPalozzola View Post
    Excuse the amateur question but what is a wind cover would that be something different from the WeatherShield the winter Clark hammocks come with?
    I think he means underquilt protector.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mPalozzola View Post
    I have the Clark Z-liners for my Vertex (the two person but they work the same with the velcro). They are decent for keeping in heat, but they do NOT stop wind from taking it right out. If it's even moderately breezy and you aren't using the tarp they might as well not be attached.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I think he means underquilt protector.
    That was what i meant, i was at work when i responded to the post.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    An under quilt & a sleeping bag would be heavy for a through hike. Plus the Clark isn't the litest. Wilderness Logics makes the summer series quilts. They are pretty lite & are cheaper than most quilt systems. I just ordered mine and Marty has been great. He made sure I got what I needed. He spent a lot of time talking to me on the phone which is nice. Good luck finding the right system for ya & have fun

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's a quite heavy system - not one I recall being used on an AT thru hike. It might wear on you 'round the 100-mile-mark.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Hanger View Post
    An under quilt & a sleeping bag would be heavy for a through hike. Plus the Clark isn't the litest. Wilderness Logics makes the summer series quilts. They are pretty lite & are cheaper than most quilt systems. I just ordered mine and Marty has been great. He made sure I got what I needed. He spent a lot of time talking to me on the phone which is nice. Good luck finding the right system for ya & have fun
    I appreciate the suggestion I'll definitely take a look into it. The Clark is non negotiable imo but I'm definitely up for suggestions for the rest of the sleep system. what do most people aim for their whole sleep system to weigh, I mean I know it varies and I ain't aiming for UL but I'm trying to get my base weight around 16-18

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast