Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    The WL summer quilts weigh 25 oz together. I understand about the clark. I carry my nx-250 most of the time Even though it weighs a ton. Some people use a pad & sleeping bag so they can go to ground or in shelters.

How do the summer quilts fare in less then ideal early spri by weather tho... I've spent too long in fl I get cool at night pretty easy as much as I hate it

Bump... with the introduction of the new Clark Mark 2 hammock I am now torn. The mark 2 has a wider more stable bed and is half a pound lighter then the nx-170 but at the sacrifice of some breathability and the exterior storage pockets. The mark 2 is designed to hybrid between ground set up and hanging much easier then prior models. this makes it much more versatile which I can see being real useful on a thru hike. The bottom of the hammock is a non breathable fabric for safe set up on the ground and because of that supposedly the need for an underquilt is removed which I do doubt on one side but with a solid sleeping bag or top quilt and a 3/4 pad maybe it is. The info person states there is a hanging loop in the foot area of the mark 2 for a pack to be in the hammock with you, and I'm a small guy 5'6 ... I dono and with the fact that all orders with a mark 2 are 25%off I'm half tempted to order both and sell one later.
    Last edited by mPalozzola; 07-13-2015 at 13:52.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When I used to do winter ski and climbing overnighters in a tent I emptied my pack and put the pack underneath my Thermarest, spread out the clothes on top and slept on them. It was lumpy and uncomfortable, but I stayed warm and my clothes were warm to put on. I suppose I could sleep on my pack and clothes in a Mark 2 if I needed to go to ground and still use my quilts, but I sure wouldn't want to. The absence of pockets for use when hanging is the only thing holding me back.

Those huge under pockets on the NX-250 & 270 are soooooo convenient. All my clothes go into them at night. I wear only a lightweight silk base layer top (that I keep in the top quilt specifically as a jammy top), silk boxers, and a polypro balaclava at night. My clothes hanging between me and the FL UQ in the pockets mean that I'm not sleeping on a lumpy bed, they provide insulation and are toasty warm to get into on a cold morning. Same with my boots if it's below freezing but I'd put them in plastic bags first. I'd miss the pockets big-time.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 07-16-2015 at 20:20.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post
    When I used to do winter ski and climbing overnighters in a tent I emptied my pack and put the pack underneath my Thermarest, spread out the clothes on top and slept on them. It was lumpy and uncomfortable, but I stayed warm and my clothes were warm to put on. I suppose I could sleep on my pack and clothes in a Mark 2 if I needed to go to ground and still use my quilts, but I sure wouldn't want to. The absence of pockets for use when hanging is the only thing holding me back.

Those huge under pockets on the NX-250 & 270 are soooooo convenient. All my clothes go into them at night. I wear only a lightweight silk base layer top (that I keep in the top quilt specifically as a jammy top), silk boxers, and a polypro balaclava at night. My clothes hanging between me and the FL UQ in the pockets mean that I'm not sleeping on a lumpy bed, they provide insulation and are toasty warm to get into on a cold morning. Same with my boots if it's below freezing but I'd put them in plastic bags first. I'd miss the pockets big-time.
    I feel the missing pockets are a major drawback but I understand the reasoning for their removal. Talking to the rep they were saying the interior is roomie enough and stable enough that it is designed to have ur pack in the hammock with u. There is a strap at the foot end to attach the pack so it doesn't slide around

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I'm in pretty much the same position as mPalozzola. I have a Hennessey asym ultra, but no insuation system yet. I can't believe how much they cost! I'm looking at Arrowhead. Any suggestions that folks think are better? (I need 3-seasons, and I'm definitely price-shopping.)

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I was thinking about the necessity of using shelters at some points along the AT. What if I carried a pad, but planned on using my UQ and/or TQ instead of carrying a sleeping bag. Do some folks do that?

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps &amp; Dutch's
    If it's any help, I car camp with my NX-250, and I've had it down to the upper 30s with just a 30° TQ and a UQP (UnderQuilt Protector). I honestly didn't now it had gotten cold until I got up in the morning. And I'm a Texan and anything under 50 to me is freezin'.

I've found once you put the UQO in place, it cuts wind down to the bottom of the hammock, and the pockets themselves trap air. The only things I had in 3 of the pockets were a tablet, my camp shoes and a hat. Remember, as you lay in the hammock, if you've got something blocking the wind underneath, your body heat is heating the air trapped in the storage pockets. Granted, it isn't a ton of heat, but it can be just enough that something like a reflectix pad in between the UQP and the hammock pockets might be enough to get you to the lower 30s.

Now, you asked if you could use a sleeping bag inside the hammock and just a pad underneath, again, with something else to hold the pad up, the answer is yes. My concern with the Clark, like others is that it's pretty heavy for a thru. Although, if you can lighten up everywhere else, it might not be so bad.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    With a March NOBO start I would say use a thermarest ridge rest solite wide and cut it down to 4ft. By that and the pockets you should be plenty warm and could sleep in a shelter as well. For a bag (I camp in the southeast often) I've never had my JRB 20 quilt let me down (weighs 20oz). Do you have a weather shield on your Clark? I've owned 2 Clarks and with the weather shield you could aim for an even lighter bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12