Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I wonder what the difference in warmth is between a sock and a top cover. I would imagine the sock would provide a better seal and keep more heat in, but I'd love to see some sort of real quantitative comparison. I'm planning to try some quick-n-dirty versions using my pack cover or poncho, if I ever get a chance to get outside when it's cold.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I don't have a "top cover" but a sock that can cover my entire hammock. We had a low of at least 14 outside at Mt Rogers this year, I hung my water bottle inside my sock all night Fri & Sat, starting with water from the spring both nights, un-heated. in the morning there was no ice in the water bottle, so a temp difference of at least 19 degrees provided by the sock (It may have gotten down to 6 outside, & been warmer than 33 inside). I was in a pretty sheltered location, but felt & heard the tarp & sock move quite a bit during the night, so the sock also cut down on wind chill from what got past my winter tarp.
    The sock that totally covers my hammock weighs in at just under16 Oz. The top 1/4 (about) is breathable nylon, so minimal noticeable condensation, unless it's really foggy out.
    I'd sure like to see a pic of this "sock" if you could ......

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are a couple pics of my socks...Joker used the TravelPod on 23 Dec with an overnight low of -2F.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html

I think an overcover helps provide a better seal against the wind than a tarp, and a sock is an even more complete seal. I haven't used my BB top cover yet so I can't really compare a top cover to a sock or pod.

But on this trip the wind shifted and was blowing snow directly into the end of the hammock...before I could fix it, there was snow piled inside of the MWUQ4. Luckily the quilt was still cold so it didn't melt and I just dumped it out, then covered that end of the tarp...but still, a sock would have protected that where an overcover would not have. (So would starting with a better pitch on the tarp, but like I said the wind shifted.)

Even with the wind coming thru the tarp, we still both had massive condensation...on the tarp's underside, on the BB's bug net and all over my TQ, on Joker's PeaPod and Hammock Sock, etc. Everywhere...and like I said, there was a pretty good wind coming thru the tarp even after I fixed it for the snow. I've only had condensation problems with any of my socks/pods in the teens and lower...never in above freezing temps.

But I'm a fan of socks and pods (and probably overcovers when I try one in the field) b/c they catch the fog and a lot of condensation...and it's much easier to dry out a single layer of DWR than to dry my TQ/bag.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12