Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long

Future Blackbird Top Cover

Will the Blackbird ever come with a top cover? I currently have a Clark (the only camping hammock I have ever used) and could not imagine purchasing a hammock without a top cover. It really is a nice feature.

I know a lot of guys sew them on but I prefer not to go that route.

Christmas is coming and thinking of getting my brother a hamock. He already has a Byer but I would like to get him something more complete like the Clark. But I already have the Clark and would like to try a new hammock like the Warbonnet..

Images
    i might come out with one eventually, arrowhead equipment makes one that is especially made for the bb.

i've never found a big need for one personally. an adequate tarp has always provided more than adequate protection for me. i suppose it might be nice in sub freezing temps, but even then i've been fine with just the netting and tarp.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    So just the sleeping bag & tarp will keep you warm in 45-50 degree weather???
    Last edited by WeTommyD; 10-01-2009 at 23:36. Reason: add

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I know that Brandon has done some experimenting with diffrent desighns for BB top covers. The couple pics I have seen looked very cool. But I don't think I would personaly want one that was some how built in on the BB. I like how simple and cool the hammock looks on it's own. But if you are going to push your gears comortable temp range a bit I think a top cover is a light and simple add on that can help beyond what a tarp would do, even a good winter tarp. Just my slightly biased opinion.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeTommyD View Post
    No! You are gonna need a pad in the hammock with you or start looking at under quilts. The cold gets you from below.......
    Then with a tarp pitched low and tight and a sleeping bag or top quilt and a good meal before bed you are good for a heavenly nights slumber.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    a top cover will generally add around 10 deg to the inside hammock temp. this can be useful in sub freezing temps, but not necessary. mosquito netting alone will add a few degrees as well.

i think oc's are more beneficial when using a minimal tarp as they will help cut the wind which is a big plus, but if you have a large tarp, the tarp cuts the wind.

i would never build one into the bb, it would raise the cost by forcing folks to pay for an add-on that often isn't needed, a seperate oc is better. it can be left at home during 3 seasons and pulled out in winter, and if you don't need it you don't have to buy it.

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    hahaha enough body fat will keep you warm in that kind of weather...I have a buddy up in Wisconsin that runs around in nothing but a t shirt and shorts during all but the VERY coldest times there. But I think he may have suffered brain damage in his college football days.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    hahaha enough body fat will keep you warm in that kind of weather...I have a buddy up in Wisconsin that runs around in nothing but a t shirt and shorts during all but the VERY coldest times there. But I think he may have suffered brain damage in his college football days.
    Sounds exactly like me... enough concussions and you don't know which way is up anymore!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Not that I doubted but it's true that a top cover will add sig. warmth. I got 2 nights in 2 weeks ago in the BB with Pauls BBO. WBDude mentioned for those using the hammock in below freezing conditions...there are some of us ME that can use the added warmth even in warmer ambients.
    So if you want to add 15 ounces to your kit that will pay big dividends look at the BBO and two of the GrizBeaks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Not that I doubted but it's true that a top cover will add sig. warmth. I got 2 nights in 2 weeks ago in the BB with Pauls BBO. WBDude mentioned for those using the hammock in below freezing conditions...there are some of us ME that can use the added warmth even in warmer ambients.
    So if you want to add 15 ounces to your kit that will pay big dividends look at the BBO and two of the GrizBeaks.
    I don't have a "top cover" but a sock that can cover my entire hammock. We had a low of at least 14 outside at Mt Rogers this year, I hung my water bottle inside my sock all night Fri & Sat, starting with water from the spring both nights, un-heated. in the morning there was no ice in the water bottle, so a temp difference of at least 19 degrees provided by the sock (It may have gotten down to 6 outside, & been warmer than 33 inside). I was in a pretty sheltered location, but felt & heard the tarp & sock move quite a bit during the night, so the sock also cut down on wind chill from what got past my winter tarp.
    The sock that totally covers my hammock weighs in at just under16 Oz. The top 1/4 (about) is breathable nylon, so minimal noticeable condensation, unless it's really foggy out.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast