Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I have a pirate themed room; I sleep in a hammock

I made a thread probably about a year ago inquiring about sleeping long term in a hammock. I reasoned to do it, and i did, and it's been absolutely fabolous. I meant to follow up on the thread but never did, I can only offer pics of my room as consolation

I would sleep in the green one and my roommate in the white one. It gave us an incredible amount of room in our room. It was so nice to be able to 'hang my bed up' for the day if i wanted the extra space in the room. So nice. We called the white one the cadillac because it was so big and comfy. My roommate was a 6'7" tall man, he was a big dude, and he slept in a hammock.

We got a ton of compliments and inquiries about sleeping in a hammock and having a pirate themed room. We're both 20, so that may answer some questions.

I need help. I keep having hammocks break on me. That green one was a super dope hammock i purchased in ecuador for $10. It has broken. I've gone through 6+ hammocks, it's ridicolous. I recently purchased another cadillac (i believe the 3rd one we've had) and it broke as well. Im so tired of having hammocks break on me. I don't want to buy new ones, i can't buy new ones; i've been sleeping on the couch.

I need a hammock that's going to last and last. Atleast a year, a hammock that i can sleep in everyday for atleast a year. I don't have a clue where to find one and you guys are the pro's, so please help a brother out.

this is the "cadillac" (heck yea for the model, right? She's not included )
    http://www.myhammock.com/proddetail....H-BELLA&cat=10

I would like something about this long. My roommates out for now and its just me in the room, i'd rather take the huge space to have a nice big hammock. He may move in soon so i'll need a smaller one, but one this big would be great. I remember in my original thread people said just to make one - i'm not making one, it's just not happening. I'll pay you to make me one, but i'm not making one.

I want something that's super comfy (man do i miss sleeping in a hammock) and something that's going to last me a year. I know you guys have some gnarly backpacking hammocks that are tough, so please, throw some sugestions out there.

Thanks guys!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My first questions... How are they breaking? All the same way lor what. Details on that please.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    6+ hammocks in one year? wow, where to start? there are so many things I could say about that but I will try to keep it as clean as possible......you can either stop playing trampoline with em, stop with the double-up giddy-up and keep the girls on the couch or maybe the hammocks you are buying can't support your singular weight. stop getting in them with your shoes, stop getting in them with any sharp objects in your pockets (this can include rivets on jeans).

Yeah, Rev is right...we just don't have enough info on how they are breaking on you. are the ropes breaking, is the fabric ripping, etc....this is critical info.

Maybe, just maybe....someone is orchestrating the breaks for you as a running joke.
    Last edited by slowhike; 10-02-2009 at 04:54. Reason: un-needed insult

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The cause of your hammock breaking.
    DO NOT USE SHARP POINTY OBJECTS IN HAMMOCK.

OK, What is breaking? The rope suspension? The fabric of the hammock? Are you pushing the weight limit? Do you keep them hung up all day? Does the sunlight shine on them? More than one person in hammock?

Heres my theory, fwiw, cheap cotton rope. Cotton and Sunlight don't get along. The ropes dry out and break, at least in my experience. Upgrade to a solid bodied hammock, with a webbing suspension.
    Plenty of good commercial options out there. ENO double is as comfortable as they come, WB Traveler is awesome.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Your mother called while you were out...she said to pick up your room.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Having grown up in Chapel Hill, NC, I automatically think "stash" when I see those little treasure chest boxes...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    JJMurphy has a Speer IIIA For Sale, Check it out... She wants $75.00 for it
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'd offer to make you a hammock but I couldn't beat the WB Traveler or the Grand Trunk parachute nylon prices so I don't think it would be worth it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    JJMurphy has a Speer IIIA For Sale, Check it out... She wants $75.00 for it
    Too late! I bought it!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Too late! I bought it!

- MacEntyre
    you gotta be quick around this group!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast