WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    My WBBB XLC is perfect. If price is a concern check out some Dutchware hammocks and the Fronkey style bugnets.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Am I the only one curious about the living in the woods / commuting into town plan? I'd love to hear more about your situation and what led you to this. What woods, how, why, etc!?

That being said, I imagine durability is going to be a key focus for you. Overkill will be your friend if you are setting up, sleeping, and taking down every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyker View Post
    Am I the only one curious about the living in the woods / commuting into town plan? I'd love to hear more about your situation and what led you to this. What woods, how, why, etc!?

That being said, I imagine durability is going to be a key focus for you. Overkill will be your friend if you are setting up, sleeping, and taking down every day.
    By overkill do you mean going "overkill" on my setup? i.e. getting the best setup possible?

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    What is the purpose of an overcover and how does it's role compare with a tarp?
    An overcover and a tarp fill two different roles. In rainy weather, the tarp prevents the hammock from getting wet. While you may think that an overcover serves the same purpose, it does not: if rain hits the overcover, it drips down the overcover and into the underside of the hammock ... where your underquilt is. Rain hitting a tarp will hit the ground instead.

You'll want a nice big winter tarp with doors that you can batten down the hatches on. Lots of people are pleased with the WB SuperFly.

You'll want a nice full length underquilt, the lower the better, for the most part. 20F might be a good spot to shoot for. I've been pretty pleased with the HG Incubator.

I'd recommend a composite system with an external bugnet. You can remove the bugnet when you don't want to use it. More importantly, you can easily reach around to all sides of the hammock to adjust your underquilt.

Get some snake skins for your tarp. This will allow you to have it mostly set up, but in a way that doesn't obscure your view of the canopy above. If you get a surprise rain, it's quick and easy to let the tarp out.

Get yourself a nice little pillow. I like the Sea to Summit Aeros for camping, but indoors I use a Cabellas travel pillow. The pillow is especially useful if you like to sleep on your side a bit.

You might also consider the Warbonnet bridge hammock. The downside of a bridge hammock is primarily it's weight, but that seems to be a non-issue in your situation. WB has an underquilt tailored for it as well.

The easiest suspension is cinch buckle. I recommend it for beginners. Easy to adjust, lots of flexibility in site selection. A bit more bulky and heavier and amsteel solutions, but that seems okay.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    By overkill do you mean going "overkill" on my setup? i.e. getting the best setup possible?
    Yes. I mean making sure you aren't anywhere close to weight limits, materials failure points, etc. Find out the maximum required tree strap length in the area you will stay. Get yourself a larger tarp than you think you will need and choose a durable material. At least, I would if I were you.

Care to share details on how this all came about?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12